Steam Controller with I-War 2?

More
8 years 4 months ago #20040 by AdmiralZeratul
So, mine should be here soon (I just could not resist getting one!), and I was wondering if anyone has already created any setups for I-War 2 on the mighty Steam Controller.

I'm just asking right now so I know what to expect when I get it. If not, it's no big deal; I'm sure I can make my own setup. From what I've read, it is very useful for games that don't otherwise play well with controllers. I've always wanted to play I-War 2 on a proper joystick/controller, and hopefully this will work better than all my past attempts.

Overthinking is kind of a habit of mine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #20041 by 7upMan
I'm not sure anybody has any idea how the Steam Controller really works. I mean, sure, the thing is out, but only recently, and from what I've heard, folks are not exactly lining up to get one - like it's the case for the new Apple iGadget.

More
8 years 4 months ago #20042 by schmatzler
From what i've read, Windows recognizes it as two devices - but that's fine, I-War 2 can handle multiple joysticks.

Someone has to be the first to create a config, though. I can't help with it, I'm not interested in the controller (I love my old Xbox 1 controller).

Space. The final frontier.

More
8 years 3 months ago #20045 by AdmiralZeratul
So, I got my Steam controller yesterday, and it works pretty well. I even created the first ever Steam Controller configuration for I-War 2!

The idea is to switch to keyboard only and use the controller in combat. Thanks to the thruster override being on the left stick and the dock autopilot being mapped to the X button, it's easy to escape from a fight you cannot win. (Yes, I realize E is used to select the next enemy, not the closest one. That was clumsy of me. :lol: )

I would have explained more about the configuration I made, but unfortunately there was a problem. I tested it in Instant Action, and the game doesn't seem to actually accept any of its inputs. I must be doing something wrong here. Every other game I've tried the Steam Controller with works reasonably well, but not I-War 2. Maybe it has something to do with X-Input, although I'm not entirely certain what that is.

Attachments:

More
8 years 3 months ago #20046 by 7upMan
So, how easy is it to actually control the ship? I mean, I only ever played I-War (1&2) with a joystick, so I wonder how intuitive the controller solution is.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #20047 by AdmiralZeratul

7upMan wrote: So, how easy is it to actually control the ship? I mean, I only ever played I-War (1&2) with a joystick, so I wonder how intuitive the controller solution is.

I wish I could tell you, but I never got to find out. Trying to configure my old controller to work with I-War 2 was too difficult for me, and using s Steam Controller doesn't really seem to work either. The ship just flat-out doesn't do anything.

All I have is an unfinished experiment, sadly.