Steam Controller with I-War 2?

More
8 years 3 months ago #20057 by schmatzler
I wonder if it's really that impossible to use the Steam controller.

I mean, I-War 2 sees controllers just like Windows does.

As long as the Steam controller is accessible in the Windows game controller options and has standard axes and buttons for its inputs, it should be possible to add it in the game.

Unless there's a bug in the drivers, but I doubt it.

If that damn thing wouldn't cost so much, I would try it. But I'm very happy with my old Xbox Classic Controller and the Sidewinder.

Space. The final frontier.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #20062 by Chessking
Shmatzler is right. If you go to control panel → game controllers you should see a list of available controllers. If you go to properties, it should show a labeled diagram indicating which controller keys are being pressed. The labels should be what you need to get it to work.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 3 months ago #20064 by Chessking

AdmiralZeratul wrote: I do wonder if someone would be willing to do this small favor for us. It would be ever so nice. :whistle:

Come to think of it, it would be fairly simple to make a dynamic keyboard config editor with Javascript. In addition, I found this , which uses HTML5 to detect gamepads and joysticks. It might even work with the steam controller. I put it on my list.

P.S. I spelled Schmatzler's name wrong in my last post. :blush: I guess I am not used to the German "sch" syllable yet.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 3 months ago #20065 by AdmiralZeratul

Chessking wrote: P.S. I spelled Schmatzler's name wrong in my last post. :blush: I guess I am not used to the German "sch" syllable yet.

That sound is not unique to the German language, actually. Russian uses it too. Singing in Russian is a bit of a hobby of mine. :lol:

Chessking wrote: Shmatzler is right. If you go to control panel → game controllers you should see a list of available controllers. If you go to properties, it should show a labeled diagram indicating which controller keys are being pressed. The labels should be what you need to get it to work.

After reading your suggestion, I tried this, and it didn't recognize the Steam controller despite it working perfectly with most Steam games. Like Schmatzler said, that would also explain why I-War 2 didn't recognize it. Seems like the Steam controller is some kind of alien device that no one really understands...

Maybe I should just invest in a proper joystick. Sounds like it'll be cheaper than the damn Steam controller too. Does anyone have any recommendations that aren't overly expensive?

Overthinking is kind of a habit of mine.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #20066 by Chessking
I was looking at joysticks a while back, and there are a some with a bunch of buttons on the side. With one of those, you could probably skip the keyboard altogether, without using the HUD. However, I think this is a bit unrealistic, since most vehicles with a joystick would also have a lot of switches and gauges also. I am quite pleased with my joystick, simple as it may be. It is the Saitek Cyborg Graphite. Regarding quality, it is fairly good. On mine, the speed lever is loose and doesn't stay zeroed, allthough there may be a setting to adjust the dead-zone. In addition, I broke the trigger recently,( :( ) when I finally took down a Nova cruiser in a Storm Petrel. ( :) ). The thing kept moving, and I would have to keep up, firing in the same place to overwhelm the LDAs. However, I should be able to glue it back on using a super-strong superglue.

I think the highest quality joystick you could get is the one Schmatzler has. He said before that he bought it before the companies realized they could make more money if they made cheap joysticksthat break easily, so you would probably have a hard time finding one. :)

Seems like the Steam controller is some kind of alien device that no one really understands...

Ever heard of SteamOS? I just looked it up, and it says it is a linux based operating system. Perhaps that is why Windows doesn't recognize it.

Some more info that I found about the Steam controller is below; Linux was mentioned here as well.

steamcommunity.com/app/353370/discussions/0/494632506575873662/

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #20067 by schmatzler
According to this:

steamcommunity.com/app/353370/discussions/0/458604254459139986/

the Steam controller is recognized as keyboard and mouse and not as a game controller.

This shouldn't be a problem though, I-War 2 supports keyboard and mouse. Someone would have to merge the mouse.ini control file with the correct keyboard commands to control the game.

Chessking wrote: I think the highest quality joystick you could get is the one Schmatzler has.

That's true. I have the Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro. They built the thing with light sensors. Normal joysticks have pots to adjust their axis, which will wear off after a while and become unreliable.

Also, it has two big beefy motors than can really hurt your arm. :P

But I wouldn't recommend it for a non-technical user. Because it only has a gameport and you need Windows XP to get the Force Feedback working, UNLESS you build a USB adapter with this project:

code.google.com/p/adapt-ffb-joy/

There's a guy who builds these things, but he's slow. I'm waiting since November for the next run:

www.iowajohnsons.com/FFBVert/FFBVert.html

Space. The final frontier.