Is anyone still playing in 2018?

More
5 years 6 months ago #20710 by n2gtarz
well I will be looking for your updates! THANK YOU so much for your work! loved this game for a long time!! (4 disk Independence War) and EOC!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #20719 by piratha
Hi, still playing in 2018.. +1!!

I found this game somewhere back in 2007 I think in a fleamarket, the box was quite beaten up; it sort felt in the forgotten ideas until 2009 where I found it again and played vanilla for a while (during a winter I think). 2009 was fore me also a so-so year..

Years went by and.. while going through some old HD (WinXP era..) I found the installation folder - woah, here I am again! (this time using the GoG version).

I'm compiling a small "mod" to fix some errors left over in the devices and I stumbled upon the "Assault cannon" and "Assoult cannon with ring" and the "Gatling Cannon" mentioned in the docs.. it seems the Gatling is internally called "Assoult cannon" - right?

More
5 years 5 months ago #20720 by IronDuke

piratha wrote: Hi, still playing in 2018.. +1!!

I'm compiling a small "mod" to fix some errors left over in the devices and I stumbled upon the "Assault cannon" and "Assoult cannon with ring" and the "Gatling Cannon" mentioned in the docs.. it seems the Gatling is internally called "Assoult cannon" - right?

Absolutely correct. :) "assault_cannon" is the gatling cannon that uses ammo, and "assault_cannon_ring" is the actual assault cannon that doesn't use ammo. You can't get it till quite late in the game, but it is so much fun and so powerful. The error is actually reflected in an early mission for the stepsons, where they reward you with "assault cannon and ammo." When I first played the game, that line made me ecstatic. I was getting an assault cannon! Then my brother explained it's a gatling, they got the word wrong. :P

Welcome to the forums! Feel free to poke around the downloads section; there is a massive collection of mods and other interesting things to try out. :D

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: piratha

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #20721 by piratha

IronDuke wrote:

piratha wrote: Hi, still playing in 2018.. +1!!

Absolutely correct. :) "assault_cannon" is the gatling cannon that uses ammo, and "assault_cannon_ring" is the actual assault cannon that doesn't use ammo. You can't get it till quite late in the game, but it is so much fun and so powerful. The error is actually reflected in an early mission for the stepsons, where they reward you with "assault cannon and ammo." When I first played the game, that line made me ecstatic. I was getting an assault cannon! Then my brother explained it's a gatling, they got the word wrong. :P

Welcome to the forums! Feel free to poke around the downloads section; there is a massive collection of mods and other interesting things to try out. :D

I was looking inside "assault_cannon_ring.ini" and noticed that it uses the "assault_cannon_bolt" that in turn refers to the cargo pod containing the shells: does it use that number or not anymore? I noticed the "capacity=1000" and the different Class name: is that it?

I was also looking inside the "assaiult_cannon.ini", there are the "max_ammo_count" and the "ammo_count": can you tell me the difference and the relation with the assault ammo pod capacity? Tnx!

I saw some minor errors inside another mod the "jet_weap_tweaks.zip", I using that as 70% to compile a "gentle" weapon rebalance, complete with excel table comparison and graphics :side: Beware, not a random powercreep, rather try to give more character to the differet weapon systems. I might open a new thread for that ;)

More
5 years 5 months ago #20723 by IronDuke
"assault_cannon_bolt" refers to the file for the actual simulated object fired from the gun. You'll notice both weapons refer to it; if you navigate to its position in the resource folder, you'll see that it's a .ini for an actual weapon projectile. "capacity" for the assault_cannon_ring is referring to how much energy is held in the capacitor, and is a property for all energy weapons, from PBCs to beams to antimatter guns. "shot_energy_cost" is how much of the capacity is removed when the weapon is fired. The capacity is recharged using the "power" property, slightly above; power is also how much it drains from the reactor of the ship. While the file says that it won't draw any power due to having its own reactor ring, that is not actually true. They never got around to coding that.

For "assault_cannon," max_ammo_count refers to the absolute greatest amount of rounds that the gun can carry, and when restocked in instant action or at your base, it will be refilled to that amount. ammo_count is how many rounds the gun carries when spawned in, so if you were to decrease that, then your ships in instant action would start with that many rounds, but when docking to the resupply vessel, would be refilled to the max_ammo_count. I also want to caution that while the number of rounds is 200 by default, the HUD in-game will say 1000. When using the gatling cannon, the number of rounds remaining is multiplied by five for the HUD; that way, they can say it's firing a burst of shots, but they only have to simulate one. Quite clever if you ask me.

Oooh, I'm fascinated to see what you are coming up with! :3 Feel free to start another thread for it, and ask any questions you like! I never did use Jet's weapon tweaks, but I heard good things about it back in the day.

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: piratha

More
5 years 5 months ago #20725 by piratha
Hey, thanks for the answers!

I keep adding here: I found under "\subsims\systems\player" the sensor_disruptor.ini and the sensor_scrambler.ini, the latter seems not active and only partially configured! the text "AdvancedSensorDisruptor" is present in the cargoTypes.h from the scripting include's folder so.. I'll try to put it in the game!