cluster jumping for idiots!!!

More
19 years 1 week ago #12772 by EricMan64
I believe the POG function call is what Mr. Robertson did for the freeform mod. It allows you to make the jump, but autopilot doesn't recognize it. I could be wrong, but I believe altering the geography files would be the only way to change it to allow automatic cluster jumping. I don't think it would be too difficult actually.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 week ago #12773 by Stephen Robertson PS
Essentially, it's a bug that the AI can't route between clusters, even though a pog command exists that allows you to create a jump-point between them.

When I wrote the free-form mod there were no longer any programmers working on I-War 2, so that bug was never fixed.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
I-War series co-designer.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson

More
19 years 1 week ago #12777 by EricMan64
Well, I know it's generally a bad idea to argue with one of the developers of a game (because you'll probably argue back and win), but I'm pretty sure it's just the POG function with the bug. Changing geog files should work fine, because I don't think the game even recognizes clusters. Just look at the clusters.ini file:
Code:
[badlands] ; Systems really in the Badlands system[0] = map:/geog/badlands/hoffers_wake system[1] = map:/geog/badlands/coyote system[2] = map:/geog/badlands/kompira system[3] = map:/geog/badlands/eureka system[4] = map:/geog/badlands/firefrost system[5] = map:/geog/badlands/santa_romera system[6] = map:/geog/badlands/dagda system[7] = map:/geog/badlands/mwari system[8] = map:/geog/badlands/dante ; Systems really in Gagarin system[9] = map:/geog/gagarin/formhault system[10] = map:/geog/gagarin/drake system[11] = map:/geog/gagarin/new_bavaria system[12] = map:/geog/gagarin/osprey system[13] = map:/geog/gagarin/ishime system[14] = map:/geog/gagarin/owens_star system[15] = map:/geog/gagarin/batatas
It looks to me like someone started to program clusters into the game when he realized that there's no reason to do so. Just put everything into one cluster, and tell the player that there're two.

More
19 years 1 week ago #12785 by Stephen Robertson PS
I believe the problem is with the pog command that creates the link. Still if you can get it working then that'd be fantastic.

Oh and it was several years ago now, so forgive me if my memory sometimes gets hazy. ;)

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson

More
19 years 1 week ago #12786 by mdvalley
No luck. I called AddDestination on them twice (one for each direction), and threw in SetUsable for good measure, but there was no difference. Maybe this is what happens when you try to link 2 L-Points without defining it in the map files. Could have use in future mods.

More
19 years 1 week ago #12794 by EricMan64
Well, I spent a little bit modifying map files this morning. I can't test them myself because I'm away from my EoC disks for the weekend, so it would be cool if someone here would try the files out. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't, maybe I didn't even modify the files right. It's been awhile since I last messed with geography files.
www.i-war2.com/pogfiles/ericman6 ... romera.map
www.i-war2.com/pogfiles/ericman64/formhault.map

[edit]Is it just me, or does clicking on the links just open this thread in a new window? If anyone has trouble clicking on these links, try copying and pasting into your address bar. That seemed to work for me.