cluster jumping for idiots!!!

More
19 years 4 weeks ago #18409 by aargh
:)

Ok its probably some very easy thing to do but how do you cluster jump. Instructions say something like target liberty lpoint then select manually remek lpoint. Well all this does is jump through the target list from one lpoint to the next. So will someone please explain to dotish me, how to cluster jump.

Of course formating with any vessel going thru the jump accelerator only ends you up in some other part of santa romera. So much for being smart:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 weeks ago #12702 by andrewas
You can't in the unmodded game, because the connection between Santa Romera & Fomalhaut isnt actualy there. Only scripts can get your through.

The Freeform mod changes this, and you can jump to fomalhaut the same way you do any manual jump. Select the L-point in the starmap, select the destination then fly through the point. I think this is only possible after you finish the plot.

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #12706 by aargh
Replied by aargh on topic cluster jumping for idiots!!!
:)

I clearly am doing something wrong. I am in the freeform mod and in act 4. I do as instructed, go down the taget list to liberty L point, go thru star chart & select remek L point and and all that happens is the remek l point is what is selected in the target list. Thruster to Liberty Lpoint with remek L point targetted, go from one end of the accelerator to the next:)

I'm sure this is quite simple, but I clearly am not getting it . Oh well maybe I'll have to go to cluster jump 101 class:)

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #12709 by andrewas
Try jumping through a normal L-point manualy.

When you select the L-point in starmap, zoom in on it and it should list a destination above it, then you can select a specific destination.

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #12760 by aargh
Replied by aargh on topic cluster jumping for idiots!!!
Ok:)

Well I finally figured out this 'manual' flying story. So for those who like me haven't a clue, description shortly.

I mean after playing through to the end more than once and never using this 'manual' flying and all autoflying stuff, have to give me some slack:) Imagine if they came up with a mission you got hit by some lds missile and all the autoflying circuits were fried and you had to manual fly your way back home, one L point at a time, from behind enemy territory. I would have been screwed:)

I don't have a joystick, so I don't know what the joystick set up is with the starchart. Maybe someone who has can enlighten those who need to know. Below is for the keyboard only users.

Ok manual flying 101:-

1 Get to an L point

2 target your L point (go thru your target list, in bottom right corner, to the L point your at. make sure it is L point & not waypoint)

3 Now get to your starchart (DO NOT USE ANY OF THE LOCATION FINDERS, if you have this mod). Mouse click down to your L point and you should see above it 'Jump Destination'. Hit your up arrow key to get to jump destination choices.

4 Here you should see in the top left hand corner the L point you're at listed as local l point and below that selected l point. In the center should be next and previous left and right sides and at bottom cancel. Use your left/right arrows to cycle through the lpoints you can reach from this 'local' lpoint. When you reach the one you want, press the enter on your keyboard. Starchart will go off, however the l point you are going to WILL NOT show up on your target list (bottom right corner). If it does, you did this wrong and I'm a lousy teacher LOL

5 Now just use your thrusters and go towards the 'local' L point and presto you jump to your 'selected' L point. (Bit of advice, when you get there thruster away a little distance. I don't know what it is with act 4 and ships hitting you or you hitting them around jump points not to mention idiots parking their ships the wrong place. Added to that make sure you have an instant shield control too, if not when you hit anything, bye bye you're dead)

Use same set up for cluster jumping, except you can only do this between Liberty L point (Santa Romera) and Remek L Point(Formhault) or vice versa.

Don't mind none of this is explained by 'bucket of bolts' alias Clay or in the readme file for the game. (Ok I'm one of those who pretty much ignore manuals as any 1/2 decent game you should be able to get straight into without it. So maybe this was explained in the manual of which I haven't a clue where it is now) Of course this is way more than a 1/2 decent game:)

Now my thing with all this cluster jump thing is, if you already have a starchart on your ship computer with the lpoint route between the clusters in its memory and you have already done the route. Why doesn't the ship computer just automatically work out the route? Its in the memory and been there done that. Oh well guess we all had to learn the manual story whether we liked it or not LOL You would have figured with all the mods out there, somebody would have done the cluster jump mod by now:)

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #12770 by mdvalley
Nice to see you worked it out. I'd already known about manual jumping beacuse my autopilot had a habit of jumping me to the worst possible destinations. (And it lets me cut in line, too!)

Hmm... is it possible to alter the map files to connect the two L-Points? The two clusters are in different directories so perhaps not.

Can it be done in POG? The iLagrangePoint.AddDestination function looks promising. I will have to try it.