questions

More
19 years 4 months ago #18315 by pons
questions was created by pons
Hi all. I found this game in the check out counter at my supermarket, at $15 (the equivalent in our currency) I had to buy it!
The downside of it is it didn't come with a manual, only a quick start chart with keyboard commands and a brief description.
I've been reading this forum and others, and I think I figured out most of it. Still, I have many questions about game play;
for instance when can I leave the "history" and explore, trade and survive. The proper use of mods, for there are many. For example, I downloaded the walk through and the multi mode, sent the zips to the mode folder, but I can't find a way to access it through the library.
Or why pressing the W key doesn't always work, and why the ASDW set doesn't have any effect on lateral motion. I realize I'll slap my forehead, but what it may be simple for you guys, is a mountain for me.
I had issues with the game not going past the first frame of the intro, and after a week combing the internet I found out that the problem is solved by checking the "turn off the advanced test service
for this program" box (I'm running WINXP pro), and now it works, but sometimes I have a problem starting from a save game.
I've had this game for 2 months now, and only this week I've been able to play it because of this issues. I'm now doing the errand boy
missions... and hoping to go much farther.

And sorry for the rant, it's my fault for picking games at a supermarket, but I'll beat it, manual or not. If necessary, I'll write my own!!

So, there we are, any help you can give me will be appreciated, and will probably save my sanity. Thank you for your patience in reading this.
sebastian pons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago #12075 by andrewas
Replied by andrewas on topic questions
There should be a manual on the CD in .pdf format. Failing that, www.replacementdocs.com
will have a copy if/when it ever comes back up.

Act0, the missions with young cal, end after a few missions. Just fly through them, learn all you can, and dont get attached to that ship, because you aint keeping it for long. (For my money, in the right cirucmstances, the storm petrel is the best warship in the game. Nothing but nothing can catch it, missiles have a hard time hitting it, and it can carry enough firepower or most missions)

For the mods, you need the 14.6 patch. Then you will find an 'extras' option in the main game menu, and will be able to activate the individual mods in turn.

Not sure whats up with your keys. Remember that autopilots override them, and its easy to leave formate on without realising it. Also, the flight assist program will act to cancel any lateral thrust you apply, so if you want to fly sideways, turn it off.

More
19 years 4 months ago #12076 by pons
Replied by pons on topic questions
Thank you Andrewas for your answer.
Yes I know there is a PDF manual in the CD, but I need something I can consult after pausing the game if I have to, and printing it turns a very bad quality copy and very difficult to read, for me at least. I kind of wonder what good it is to offer a document, and at the same time to make sure it can't be properly used!! Anti piracy gone wild perhaps?
Sad to learn of the Petrel...but I'm having problems following through with the plot. I thing I have problems with my save games. When starting a save game (to continue the [plot), I find that sometimes things aren't where there are supposed to be and the game hangs. It is random but very annoying as I can't play continuously because at home we are 3 persons sharing the same machines, so time is of the essence. Have you heard of this problem and is there a cure?

I figured out the mods thing, but still I can't find the walk through from the library. Advice?

As for the keys, I guess I'll live with it.

Thank you again
sebastian pons

More
19 years 4 months ago #12077 by andrewas
Replied by andrewas on topic questions
Nah, its a cost cutting measure, not security. This is what you get for buying a budget copy. On my system, alt-tabbing out of Iwar2 is relatively stable, so I can consult it that way. Otherwise, you'll just have to work at it.

On the walkthrough, it works fine for me, a 'walkthrough' link appears at the bottom of the encyclopaedia. Also, a 'geography' link appears, which gives a list of stations and so on. if you've turned them on from extras, and its still not appearing, you can always read the .html files in any browser, though they wont have the right colour scheme. And, being text, they print well. But if this is happening, somethings wrong with your game in any case and reinstallation would be a good plan.

On the saves, I havent heard of this problem before. Maybe some AntiVirus or other security program is being overzealous. Or maybe theres a genuine virus around.

More
19 years 4 months ago #12079 by pons
Replied by pons on topic questions
And thank you again.

First of all, and since I have just started playing the game so to speak, I installed, went even to the registry and cleaned everything pointing to IWAR, the thinking being that there was something hanging from a previous installs (unfortunately, there has been many of those trying to "fix" it).
Installed, patched with the 2patch, put in the "mods" folder the multi mod, the walk through and the localization mod.
I did the compatibility thing, transferred the movies from the play disk to the game's directory, and it worked!

Now I have only the occasional issues with things not showing up, and having to redo the same mission until they do. I hope to one day know why this is so, but in the meanwhile I'm happy.

Many thanks again for your help, and please let me know if you hear of somebody with the same issues.

sebastian pons

More
19 years 4 months ago #12080 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic questions

Originally posted by pons

Now I have only the occasional issues with things not showing up, and having to redo the same mission until they do. I hope to one day know why this is so, but in the meanwhile I'm happy.

Do you perhaps use a "," as decimal point and a "." as a thousands separator in your country? If so that could explain your problem. There is a fix for the dot and comma issue described here:
mjrtom.bei.t-online.de/html/prob ... an_xp.html

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site