INA Board Hit Again

More
20 years 2 months ago #17964 by Hot4Darmat
Thank God for Soup's site! Looks like another purge has taken out the entire Independence War forum at Atari. Hopefully this time it was just an accident, and things can be restored, but this could be the field of nightmares (opposite of field of dreams - "If you build it, they will come")

"If you kill it, they will stop coming."

--
Hot4Darmat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 months ago #9017 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic INA Board Hit Again

Originally posted by Hot4Darmat

"If you kill it, they will stop coming."

--
Hot4Darmat

You mean like "who needs a few old farts who just sit around and use up our valuable bandwidth and disk space"?

We ain't that important!
I doubt we account for even 1/10,000th of the resources used there

"Who are we?"

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 2 months ago #9096 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic INA Board Hit Again
Not a very nice sight to return to after being away in Florida for a week. Pez did state that it was a complete accident and things would hopefully be restored. That, unfortunately, was before Pez was promoted to a new job at Atari. Who knows who is in charge of the mess now.

More
20 years 2 months ago #9106 by Hot4Darmat
Replied by Hot4Darmat on topic INA Board Hit Again
I'm sure it was an acident, and not all that serious an accident at that. I'm not as paranoid as I sounded, but I feel like, as a community whose only venue for interaction are these forums (fora?), the loss of so much shared history and common ground can only drive the community a little further apart. Maybe I'm wrong and it'll bring it a little closer together (in-group affiliation and the increase in bonding that comes from shared adversity).

Anyway, I'm not going anywhere. Most of the hardcores are still around, and, amazingly, a few new members, too! Glad to see you still about MT and EricMan64

--
Hot4Darmat

More
20 years 2 months ago #9107 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic INA Board Hit Again
When it first happened, I thought it was official. I checked the other forums - they were all fine. So I could only believe they had deleted it. I felt this kind of sick shock, like when the Volition Freespace forum vanished forever. Kinda like seeing your old house go on sale.

-Gtrout

More
20 years 1 month ago #9205 by toastrack
Replied by toastrack on topic INA Board Hit Again
I only visit the I-War forum at Atari from time to time, but still feel the gnawing fear of these forums being eroded by the need to use the space for something "newer"
There is hope though....
I dont even play "Bladerunner" any more but I still visit what seems like the only living forum in its honour...and beleive it or not, it too has new members from time to time who are only just playing the game or who have come back to it for a laugh. The same is true of Red Baron 3D, though that always had a stronger online community.
I think it is a total tragedy when any webspace is wiped out, its a loss of history, of information that may still be of value to somebody somewhere, like burning a library because the books are no longer in print....all the better reason to keep them.

...that's torn it.

...that's torn it.