Comm Scrambler

More
21 years 3 weeks ago #17741 by White Haven
Comm Scrambler was created by White Haven
Comm Scramblers. What, if anything, do they do? I got one, I mounted it on my ship, I can't find it anwhere on this site or the in0game 'technical encyclopedia.' Ditto for a military tracker. That's at least in the encyclopedia, I just haven't a clue what it actually DOES.

A battleship can catch a superdreadnought, but nothing smaller than a superdreadnought really WANTS to catch one.

A battleship can catch a superdreadnought, but nothing smaller than a superdreadnought really WANTS to catch one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 3 weeks ago #5704 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic Comm Scrambler
I don't believe comm scramblers actually do anything, just go ahead and ignore that one. Military tracker... my memory on all these minute details is starting to get sketchy... there's two possibilities for what it might be. Either it's the device that improves the aim of your weapons, or it's the device that will tell where a targets lpoint destination is (just have the ship targeted when it jumps).

I'm sorry I could not remember exactly which item the military tracker was. It's been awhile now since I've played the actual game. I'm testing parts of my mod in iwar almost everyday, but I really need to play through the campaign again one of these days.

More
21 years 3 weeks ago #5708 by White Haven
Replied by White Haven on topic Comm Scrambler
Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing, on the tracker, that it's the aim improver, as the 'Capsule Space Tracker' is the spiffy gizmo that tracks jumps. As for the scrambler...shoot, it lets you equip the bloody thing, I would somewhat hope it'd DO SOMETHING, y'know?

More
21 years 3 weeks ago #5717 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Comm Scrambler
Found it in the text file player_systems.csv

Cargo_MarauderCommsScrambler,"Comms Scrambler","Scrambler"

and correspondingly in the "marauder_descrambler.ini

[Properties]
name=Cargo_MarauderCommsScrambler

;Its a plot item - it needs no other game presence
marauder_descrambler=1

EOC/IWar2 Multiplayer Fansite

More
21 years 3 weeks ago #5722 by White Haven
Replied by White Haven on topic Comm Scrambler
Thanks, Major. That clears that up, but opens up a new question. What plot? I've run through the entire single-player story in the past two weeks, and I noticed a distinct lack of any plot involving said scrambler.

More
21 years 3 weeks ago #5734 by Stephen Robertson PS
Replied by Stephen Robertson PS on topic Comm Scrambler
A plot arc involving the Marauder descrambler was removed from the game before release.

It involved tracking down the marauders by descrambling their transmissions. We had to remove the descrambler mission due to time constraints so the whole arc was removed too, but the descrambler got left in the inifiles.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
Particle Systems
Independence War Website

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
I-War series co-designer.