Soup to Nuts: SW Mod and Group Organization

More
19 years 8 months ago #10814 by MajorTom
The botmatch "Rebels vs. Imp Bots" hasn't been updated recently, so it's currently the script with the least functionality.

You can have bots in any of the games now, and they are equally devided between the 2 teams. (contrary to the bot match where you have bots only against real players only)

The basic game functionality (in addition to the original MP game) is this:

-You can destroy stations. (for a given number of points)
-You can dock at stations to re-arm and repair
-Every object and ship type in the game can be given a specific number of points (thus creating/allowing objectives)
-The ships are more specifically armed and allow roll based play.
-You can call a cuv bot for repairs
-You can deploy sentry turrets (gunstars) in a limited quantity at strategic locations if you pilot a CUV.
- Bombers can drop "real" bombs (and have a limited loadout of them)
- You can use bots in any game (without the game crashing all the time).
- Scoring and the score screen has been adapted to these functions
- Each map was designed with strategic game play in mind.
- A game is over at the given point limit or time limit.

Thats it! The game is what you and your team make of it.
You can go out and just shoot each other (like in UT) to see who gets the most points before the time limit is over, or you can operate strategically in a team like in Counterstrike or Rainbow Six.

We had to start somewhere, so I started at the beginning: The functionality behind starting the game. I'll put up as description of the games we have to date in a seperate thread for each game type.

Is finding good personal a management task you could take on?
We need more members in this team. Additionally, you also really need to find someone (or a couple of people) to play the different games with you online (or in a LAN).
(Latency will be too high for us to play together)

You really need to go out and play each map/game so you see how the maps are designed, the objects placed, and how it all works together.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 8 months ago #10821 by Second Chance
Thanks MajorTom, for all that info. It really helps. You're right about me needing to play more. I just downloaded the newest version and will see how it works with my system.

As far as finding new personnel, absolutely I can do that! Just tell me what you need; coders, artists, writers. And I'm on it.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 8 months ago #10837 by MajorTom
Yes! :D
Now we get to the organizational part!

I think Roi and I can handle the coding stuff. (It would be difficult for other coders to find thier way into the scripts anyhow)

we need someone to pick up the music/voice ball and run with it. I would love to see Hot4 do it but if he doesn't have the time, we'll need someone else. Whoever it is, should autonomously find and select background music for the different game modes, and manage the aquisition of the voice stuff we need.

We also need a writer to rework the game descriptions in an exciting and motivating way. We want to attract players without boring them on technical details. A writer could also think up new missions/game play ideas or even write a story for a series of short related missions.
This would also be a good job for Hot4 but he's only one person. ;)

We need a moddler for special objects, like debris, asteroids and other stuff on the maps. Ideally he would like to make maps. (I find them very time consuming because I have difficulty visualizing the positions of each object on the map when making them.)

We need someone to create and run a web site for our mod.

Btw: Dark Fire (on the Atari-ina forum) has offered us a forum and web space for the mod. Maybe he would allow a web site too?

More
19 years 8 months ago #10860 by Second Chance
Ok, I'll see what I can do. That would be cool if we got some space for a website.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 8 months ago #10862 by MajorTom
as soon as we have a web master to do the work, I'll ask Dark Fire for the space.