Tie Fighter, woes

More
19 years 9 months ago #10794 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Tie Fighter, woes

The game functionality we have now is practically the foundation for everything I can think of to date. It enabels a very wide range of activities.

The problem is: What game functionality do we have? There's no one place where it's all listed together for us to know what we've got. You know all of it right off the top of your head because it's mainly your creation, but I for one can only remember a few of the functionality discussions we've had over the past few months. And I certainly wouldn't want to have to try and search for all of them at once in order to know what the game does.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #10808 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Tie Fighter, woes

Originally posted by MajorTom

I agree! This is a challenge for our imagination and creativity!

Using it as a bot only ship may be an option, but it would be a shame, due to all the other factors mentioned above and nostology.

Also, I think it should remain a selectabe ship, as it could well develop into a sort of elite type Honor to win in a Tie vs Tie match.

I think a Tie-Fighter only type battle would be cool too! We could easily make a game/ mission where the players can fly the Tie fighter only. For example a covert operation mission.

The main challenge imo is to make good looking bolts for it from the player pilots perspective. (Seen from other players perspective they look fine)
At the current distance between the two chin guns the bolt can only be 2 pixels wide! How far can we move them apart without it getting too far off canon??? I think, in this case, the pilots perspective should have preference over model accuracy.

On unspectular weapons /weapon selection should we dare, OMG could we really dare, put a green colored Beam on it??
If the beam was say 1.5 - 2 km length, it would be very difficult to hit someone with it, but it would look really cool and allow the "knights of the old republic" to do some cool, close up, jousting matches too.
We could call it the "Rebel Griller" Laser. :D

I'll post on the functionality in the other thread asap. Meanwhile, what about the above?

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 9 months ago #10819 by Second Chance
Lol, nice work rescuing that highjacked thread [8D]. Sorry about that.

As cool as the Tie Fighter is, it's really just meant to be cannon fodder (in the movies anyway), so I think using it as mainly an AI ship with the option to fly it is reasonable. And as you mentioned before, it could turn into some kind of glory thing to win using it.

I've haven't seen what you're talking about with the guns since I've only ever flown it during model testing, where my internal camera FOV is much narrower than standard making the beams look more widely spaced. The beam spacing looks good from outside, and if it ends up being used as above it will be seen from there more often, so I wouldn't change it. Even if not, I think anyone flying it will understand that the chin guns are very close together and will expect the beams to look like that.

Maybe the way to make it more "menacing" is to actually make it more menacing. Make it the dangerous adversary it is, with highly trained AI pilots who are acurate shots and top notch flyers and know how to use the ship to its best advantage. No one is going to need any other incentive to fly it other than that it's a Tie Fighter! It doesn't need anything special added, it is special. I'm afraid that if you deviate too much from canon your going to turn off all the SW fans who've been dying to fly Star Wars ships in the EoC engine. Roi, you must have dealt with this exact problem with B5, what are your thoughts. Did you make any major changes to the B5 ship capabilities? And if so, how were they received by the fans?

Why not try the ship out with a bigger audience before deciding that it's no good on its own merits?

And don't forget the custom T/F cockpit! That alone might be incentive enough to fly it. Just the idea of looking through that famous viewport and actually flying a Tie Fighter will be good enough for me.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 9 months ago #10846 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Tie Fighter, woes
Ai can use the ship very well, generally better than a player pilot.

You should try out the ship in one of the games game and see the bolt for yourself. There are some things you jsut can't deal with theoretically.
The two bolts just make a little green smudge on the screen in front of the cockpit. You don't see the bolt going anywhere because it disappears about 50 meters in front of you

Originally posted by Second Chance

And don't forget the custom T/F cockpit!

Umm, What costum cockpit? I don't remember you mentioning this before. [?]

atm, I dunno how to change the cockpit for just one of the ships ship without changing all the others. (the turret switch to the different cockpit view you call "turrent window" requires the player to press the F1 key first, to get rid of the original cockpit).

Roi mentioned different cockpits for different ships once, maybe he knows how??

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 9 months ago #10850 by Second Chance

Umm, What costum cockpit? I don't remember you mentioning this before.

We talked about it here: www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1599&whichpage=2

It starts at the 9th post down.

More
19 years 9 months ago #10852 by Roi Danton
Replied by Roi Danton on topic Tie Fighter, woes

Originally posted by MajorTom

Roi mentioned different cockpits for different ships once, maybe he knows how??

In your Turret Mod you've used a "faked" StarFury model to change the cockpit in the Turret View (no properties except cockpit and sim type).
The similar way is the easiest to do for the other ships using several cockpits once: Avatar for the ship and Child avatar as cockpit for the respective ship.

I've never finished determining to realize dynamical cockpit in an easy way (by just changing one line like the ini file).
With changing per Flux (mentioned a while ago) I meant to define the cockpit layout with pog and to use the flux.ini as temporary storage (so the player could choose his preferring cockpit and thats stored like a save game).
But because here every ship should have its own cockpit it could be done only by pog I think.

So, sorry that I can't give you a better method. :/

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com