Tie Fighter, woes

More
19 years 10 months ago #10646 by Tarcoon
Replied by Tarcoon on topic Tie Fighter, woes
A better autorepair for the TIE would be attractive too - combined with a smart internal sound for engine + weapons and some cool bolts. Speed up the weapons regaining 100% firepower and the lady will be a champ.

There is no safe distance

There is no safe distance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10649 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Tie Fighter, woes
I don't think Autorepair is an option because none of the Star Wars ships have that function at all.

Another option would be to remove this ship. (I doubt that good pilots choose the TIE Fighter due to the existence of the TIE Interceptor) Just leave the TIE Interceptor, including the TIE Bomber etc.

EDIT: The Option with the health is a very good idea.

[:(] I really don't want to take the ship out of the game. SC did such a great job on it and we've worked on it/ discussed it so much.
The ideal solution would be to create reasons why players should fly them (like increase kill points, health ect.)
To remove it from the MP Hangar could be a last resort option, then just use it as a bot ship or for missions.

Ship List:
I don't if there is a complete ship list but regarding the balancing I would add just these fighters (besides CUV):

Rebels: Fighters: A-Wing, X-Wing, Bomber: B-Wing
Imps: Fighters: TIE Interceptor, TIE Avenger (should be slower than Interceptor); Bomber: Assault Gunboat, (TIE Bomber)

A weaker ship fraction would be:
Rebels: Fighters: Z-95 Headhunter, z.B. Firespray (Boba Fetts ship) Bomber: Y-Wing
Imps: Fighters: TIE Fighter, TIE Interceptor; Bomber: TIE Bomber

The CUV could be a Corellian YT-1300 Transport.

Our currently planned ship list is:
A-Wing, B-Wing, X-Wing,

Tie/F, Tie/Int, Tie Bomber.

We have the Falcon too, but it's not in the game yet 'cause SC doesn't want his baby shown in public without her skirt on (textures). ;)

I think SC mentioned something about the YT-1300 as a CUV too (would be perhaps easy to make (just texture) using the Falcon hull.

The Star Destroyer and a Mon Calamari are planned as static map models (but with weapons and docking bays) as player bases to replace the stations we have now.

Thats a lot of work for one moddeler to do.

But since SC isn't around to slap me upside the head with his flat bed scanner; My dream would be the E-Wing and a Tie/Avg. as additions.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 9 months ago #10740 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Tie Fighter, woes
Ok, after reading all of this I have to say (and this has nothing to do with me, I won't die if one of my ships doesn't get used): Removing the Tie Fighter would be a huge mistake. I can't even begin to list the reasons why, although many of them should be obvious. Not the least of which is the aforementioned "nostalgia factor." The Tie Fighter is a core representaion of the SW universe, and removing it just shows that we have no imagination and are too lazy to work with it. What we need to do is assess the Tie's pro's and con's and adapt the mod to them. Let's look:

Pro's
  • Core SW ship
  • Very cool sounding
  • Fast
  • Highly manuverable
  • Come in large numbers

Con's
  • Tie Interceptor was designed to replace it
  • "Un-spectacular"
  • Easily destroyed
  • Small weapon selection
  • No shields

Now what we have to do is use our little imaginations and figure out how to make the Tie more appealing to players. Or do we?

What about the idea of making the Tie Fighter more of an AI ship for mission style games? Being unpopular as a player ship doesn't mean being useless. The player always has the option to fly the Tie Fighter in bot-matches if he wants to. But maybe we should consider using it more appropriately as a high volume, low survivability AI enemy during missions.

This is just off the top of my head. But the point is; not every ship has to be the ultimate, be-all end-all player ship of the game. And before we even waste time on stuff like this I'd like to see a comprehensive, detailed write-up on exactly what modes of gameplay there are, and what ship roles need to be fullfilled in those modes. We really did do this ass-backwards, with me just cranking out ships we thought were cool, and then forcing MajorTom to try to make up places to use them. We should have first figured out what we need and then built to that.

This mod is rapidly growing into something spectacular. To prevent it from growing into something unmanageable I think we need to sit down and hammer out the details before doing any more technical work. Even just things like who is responsible for what. We all have non-technical knowledge and skills, let's put them to work.

If everyone agrees that this mod needs to become more organized I'd like to start a seperate thread for that purpose and leave this one for discussing the future of the Tie Fighter. How about it?

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 9 months ago #10747 by MajorTom
I agree! This is a challenge for our imagination and creativity!

Using it as a bot only ship may be an option, but it would be a shame, due to all the other factors mentioned above and nostology.

Also, I think it should remain a selectabe ship, as it could well develop into a sort of elite type Honor to win in a Tie vs Tie match.

I think a Tie-Fighter only type battle would be cool too! We could easily make a game/ mission where the players can fly the Tie fighter only. For example a covert operation mission.

The main challenge imo is to make good looking bolts for it from the player pilots perspective. (Seen from other players perspective they look fine)
At the current distance between the two chin guns the bolt can only be 2 pixels wide! How far can we move them apart without it getting too far off canon??? I think, in this case, the pilots perspective should have preference over model accuracy.

On unspectular weapons /weapon selection should we dare, OMG could we really dare, put a green colored Beam on it??
If the beam was say 1.5 - 2 km length, it would be very difficult to hit someone with it, but it would look really cool and allow the "knights of the old republic" to do some cool, close up, jousting matches too.
We could call it the "Rebel Griller" Laser. :D

More
19 years 9 months ago #10753 by Roi Danton
Replied by Roi Danton on topic Tie Fighter, woes
[OT]

Originally posted by Second Chance

This mod is rapidly growing into something spectacular. To prevent it from growing into something unmanageable I think we need to sit down and hammer out the details before doing any more technical work. Even just things like who is responsible for what. We all have non-technical knowledge and skills, let's put them to work.

If everyone agrees that this mod needs to become more organized I'd like to start a seperate thread for that purpose and leave this one for discussing the future of the Tie Fighter. How about it?

Yes, absolutely.
For example I would like to know what MajTom is planning to include for scenarios b/c thats all a matter of time and my time is really limited. For example as I organized the Buda5 MC2003 collection I made a "still to do list" what has to be included until it is "releaseable" so everyone knew what's still un-/finished/in progress and so on.
So we could support us better and have an overview whats the goal of this here. Additional ideas could be created, discussed and added easier, too.

Such questions like the ship balancing is a thing of the Beta (Test) phase ... and until we have not all scenarios included that are planned to be in the first release we haven't reached the Beta (Test) phase.
In the "real" Beta phase could also additional testers be involved. (like SC wrote in another thread)
[/OT]

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

More
19 years 9 months ago #10755 by MajorTom
I'm not sure what you mean by scenarios?
Apparently we do need a thread on this subject.

I guess I assumed the different maps in the dev version and the functionality we've been talking about would speak for itself. Unfortunatly, it seems that was incorrect in both counts:
I don't think everyone has even tried out each map, where you can see and experience examples of the different scenario options?

The game functionality we have now is practically the foundation for everything I can think of to date. It enabels a very wide range of activities. And, as far as I'm concerned the development on that is done now. (until/unless beta testing shows something else).
That functionality will also be the basis for scripted coop missions. Missions will require new maps to play on. Work on the maps and scripting will be an ongoing process.

There is still a little work to do in the Network GUI to allow for mission selection. Did you want to discuss that?