Tie Fighter, woes

More
19 years 10 months ago #18138 by MajorTom
Tie Fighter, woes was created by MajorTom
This ship is just plain too un-spectacular.

In the movies it always has a "menacing" and dangerous appearance but our T/F is just plain boring [V] I'm afraid no one will want to fly it. [:(]

One of the problems is the null positions of the guns. They are so close together, that the bolt for the chin guns can only be 2 pixels wide if you want to see them seperatly. But, 2 pixels is hard to see at all. I think we (Second Chance) could fix that to a degree, by moving the chin guns positions farther apart?

The Tie/Int has, for example, a much more "exciting" cockpit view of it's lasers because they are further apart and placed on the sides of the ship.

What can we do to make the Tie Fighter more interesting? Some kind of cool weapon? Maybe other special effects? It needs something special and unique. Any ideas?

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10615 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Tie Fighter, woes
I'd rather fly the Tie Fighter over any other ship in the series.

Don't underestimate the nostalgia-factor. ;)

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
19 years 10 months ago #10621 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Tie Fighter, woes
Shane,
You are right, of course and the ship looks really great as a model, but somethings missing. The cockpit experience is just not cool enough! [V]
The T/Int has for example the cool Ion cannons and also great looking weapon bolts.

Somehow, we need to make the T/F weapons/bolts look lots cooler and then....
Maybe we should give it some kind of a "booster" factor?

If a T/F kills, say five ships, without getting shot down once it could get extra health, or extra speed, or more hit points, or double points for killing other fighters, or increased weapons damage, or .... [?]

That might compliment it's "menacing" charachter?

More
19 years 10 months ago #10624 by Hot4Darmat
Replied by Hot4Darmat on topic Tie Fighter, woes
I'd fly the TIE if it had that cool pained screaming sound effect. I loved these things from the get-go because they were such a unique design at the time they were first used (I remember making a whole squadron of them as a kid, from cut-up and painted ping-pong balls, pieces of dowel, and cardboard cutout panels), and they had that incredibly menacing sound as they twisted in for a strafing run.

Come to think of it, I guess this all falls into the nostalgia factor, too.

--
Hot4Darmat

More
19 years 10 months ago #10625 by Roi Danton
Replied by Roi Danton on topic Tie Fighter, woes

Originally posted by Hot4Darmat

I'd fly the TIE if it had that cool pained screaming sound effect.

Yes, so it is. On the XWvsTF or XWA CD are some good TIE sounds for sure.

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

buda5.firstones.com

More
19 years 10 months ago #10630 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Tie Fighter, woes

Originally posted by Roi Danton

Originally posted by Hot4Darmat

I'd fly the TIE if it had that cool pained screaming sound effect.

Yes, so it is. On the XWvsTF or XWA CD are some good TIE sounds for sure.

buda5.firstones.com

If you are both refering to the menacing and fearsome flyby sound, I agree fully The original sound is in the mod in audio/sfx/FlyByTie.wav.
It's used in the mod on several occasions. (for example, when you get hit by a disruptor if you are in a rebel ship).

Unfortunatly, the original internal engine sound is just a high pitched summing tone and nothing special at all.
When the Tie flies past you in game the sfx doesn't create anything, that sounds at all like the flyby sound. (niether in the original game, nor with the EOC sfx.

I've tried to use the flyby sound as the sfx for the internal sound but since it is looped during flight, its not useable. (sounds more like a pregnant whooping crane flying through a tunnel)

This looks like a sound designer issue:
If you want to work on it you can change the sounds easily enough:
The internal engine sound for the Tie Fighter is defined in audio/sfx/tie_fighter_drive.ini.
You can use different sound resource url's and also try out different volumes, and pitch bends ect. by changing that .ini file