Flight Performance

More
19 years 9 months ago #10932 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Flight Performance

To get repeatable hit counts we had to reduce the acceleration values.

Ah. Ok then, can't argue with that.

I dunno what map you were trying, but the magnified Fish Eye perspective at 0.7 or 0.6 is just not an option. it distorts distances and sizes too much.

Actually, what you're used to looking at is what's really distorted. By default, flux uses an FOV of 1.1 radians, which is about 63 degrees. When looking through a camera lens an FOV of 39.598 degrees most accurately simulates natural human eyesight. The reason the bases look like they're so close is because they're so big. The FOV of 0.61 radians is actually providing a more realistic picture than the stock view (which makes things look almost twice as far away as they are). You're just used to looking at an incorrect view, so the correct one looks distorted. That's understandable. To answer your question, I last tested this figure out on the maze map. I have no fish-eye view, no objects that look farther away than they are (because now they look the proper distance away for their size), no distorted proportions and no trouble hitting targets. But if you guys all don't want to consider trying this change, then that's cool, I won't bring it up again. But it did make my experience playing the mod much more enjoyable, so I don't know why you say it's just not an option.

If you want me to change the size of the models and C-hulls, just let me know. I'll gladly do it if that's what you all want. If majority rules, I'll take my lumps with a smile and say no more.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #10958 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Flight Performance
You may well be right that what we are used to seeing is distorted. However, thats academic because everyone else who has played the game is also used to seeing it like that. The weapon ranges, bolts, beams, Aim assist, size of other models (like missiles for example), and the other camera settings are also tweaked to match. Last not least, the objects on the maps were scaled and placed specifically for that perspective as well.

It's not a case of what or who is right or wrong, it's a matter of consistency and the necessity to make lots of changes that aren't really necessary. As we've agreed previously there is no sense in being realistic if it's no fun (at least when you're gaming) ;)

Just for the sake of argument:
Although I'm not saying it is, your reasoning may be flawed because you've assumed that the FOV setting in flux.ini is an absolute value.
It could well be that the absolute value in flux is somewheres around the 39 degrees you quoted above. The FOV value in flux.ini could be only a tweak in reference to that.
The reason I consider this to be possible is due to my 2 solid months of EOC camera work and the anomolies I noted when doing the Intro movie for DoW. (the most predominate anomolies were in ref. to zooming)
I guess it would be possible to actually test and measure the FOV somehow but as noted, it is really just academic considering the other issues and all the work involved in making the change.

Please don't be annoyed because we don't agree on this issue. There are so many other issues where we agree perfectly. [8D]

If you want me to change the size of the models and C-hulls, just let me know.

I don't think we should do this because of the size in reference to the carriers and the Deathstar. Do/did you have an idea how to compensate if they were larger? We simply can't make the DS or the SD or the carrier larger due to frame rate issues.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 9 months ago #10964 by Second Chance

the objects on the maps were scaled and placed specifically for that perspective as well.

This is highly unlikely, unless you're talking about custom mod content. Model sizes and distances are decided early on in a game's design, and rarely ever take camera view into consideration (as it's much easier to simply alter the camera than the entire game's content).

It's not a case of what or who is right or wrong, it's a matter of consistency...there is no sense in being realistic if it's no fun

You're absolutely right. I only wanted to present this idea as an alternative. And since for me it's a lot more fun, I didn't want to see it discounted.

...you've assumed that the FOV setting in flux.ini is an absolute value.

I, of course, don't have any solid facts to offer you on this. But I do have a lot of photography experience, so I know what things look like through a camera lens. Especially computer models (it's what I do). That's the whole reason why I looked for an FOV setting in the first place, I could tell right away that there was something wrong with the default view. And I wasn't enjoying it, so I needed to fix it. Experience tells me that the adjusted FOV is much more correct, but as you said; it doesn't matter if no one else likes it.

...considering the other issues and all the work involved in making the change.

There are no other considerations. The game objects are not scaled for any FOV, they are the size they were modeled at (except one or two).

Please don't be annoyed because we don't agree on this issue.

I'm never annoyed at disagreement. I can't expect everyone to have the same opinion as me.

I don't think we should do this because of the size in reference to the carriers and the Deathstar. Do/did you have an idea how to compensate if they were larger? We simply can't make the DS or the SD or the carrier larger due to frame rate issues.

Hmm, well, resizing the models wouldn't really affect the Death Star because it's so big. The models would still be so tiny compared to it that I don't think you would notice. The carriers on the other hand would definitely have to be scaled up along with the fighters. What are the frame-rate issues you're talking about? I think I may have experienced them in the mod. I'm afraid I don't have any other solutions.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 9 months ago #10969 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Flight Performance
lets be serious;

unless you're talking about custom mod content.

I'm talking specifically about our mod and our maps.

There are no other considerations. The game objects are not scaled for any FOV

Our missiles in our A-Wing and our bomb in our B-Wing, our bolts on our weapons, the size of our gunstars, the refire rate on our weapons are all very specificly tweaked!

I wouldn't mind having my work taken seriously either. Changing it all to fit another perspective is not an option for me.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 9 months ago #10973 by Second Chance
Ok, yes. You are absolutely right. I thought you were refering to the stock game stuff. I guess you probably would want to re-tweak all that other stuff.

So what else have we got? Anyone have any ideas?