Flight Performance

More
19 years 9 months ago #10893 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Flight Performance

Originally posted by Second Chance

I know you're tired of hearing from me about this by now, but, I've never had any problems of any kind using an FOV of 0.71 or lower. How could it be harder to hit up close when the weapons are mostly aimed by flux anyway? I use a much narrower firing arc for weapons than the standard game and I've never had any unusual trouble hitting things at any distance. Everything looks much better and even the smallest ships show up wonderfully (and the big ships are impressively massive). I'm not saying that you should use it, but I've been using narrower FOVs since I started EoC and I've only ever seen benefits.

I've tested Roi's example and your 0.71 suggestion intensivly today. A change of the FOV just won't work in MP.

A) It is much harder to hit a target. ( I dunno exactly why, but it is definately).

B) The magnification effect warps the map out of proportions. Contrary to the SP game, The MP maps have lots of objects and scenery very close together like for example 4 stations and 50+ asteroids within a radius of 30 km. Thats completly different to the SP game where you only have a single station 150 km away from a L-Point.
C)It only has a very barely noticable effect on the visibility of the little SW ships. It's certainly not noticable enough to merrit the other two negative effects above

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #10894 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Flight Performance
Wow, that's really weird. Oh well, whatever. At least it works for me.

Let me know if you want the models scaled up properly, along with their collision hulls.

Hey, I just had an idea. Have you tried setting the mass to near zero with Pog? It might give you the inertia-less performance you're looking for. Could be worth a try.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 9 months ago #10900 by MajorTom
Once you get the mod running, try your 0.71 setting in the SW mod flux.ini and you'll see the effects clearly.

I think we can't scale up because the size of the SD and carriers (and the DS!) would get so large we couldn't put them on the map. We'll probably have to live with the smaller size even if it doesn't look so cool

I've tried (several methods of) changing/resetting the mass with pog, but that only effects the forward speed and acceleration it has no effect on the lateral movement or turning. (thats been noted a couple of times in various forums and appears to be some kind of bug)

More
19 years 9 months ago #10902 by Second Chance

but that only effects the forward speed and acceleration it has no effect on the lateral movement or turning.

Bummer! [xx(]

Oh well, good try anyway.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 9 months ago #10914 by Second Chance
Ok, I've had a chance to play a few rounds and hear are my thoughts on the flight performance:
  • The ships, while fast, accelerate way to slowly. SW ships have massive acceleration. I would suggest that each fighter be able to accelerate to top speed in 1 second or less, in all directions. This will also help with the inertia problem. Otherwise, the ships flew quite nicely. [8D]
  • Using an FOV of 0.71 worked great! I don't know what problems you guys are having, but it looked fantastic for me. In fact, next time I'm going to try an even narrower FOV.
  • The problem with seeing the fighters isn't so much a matter of size as it is of speed. These fighters are extremely fast, and they close huge distances in a very short time. The real problem is that they just pass you too fast to see them. (Ok, so part of that does have to do with size ;). But not all of it!) Maybe try making the fighters just a little slower, instead of alot slower.
  • I suggest getting rid of fighter-to-fighter missile weapons. They are annoying because, really, they have to destroy you in one hit (or they would have no value against other targets). And not once, in all three original movies, did anyone ever shoot down another craft with missiles. Despite what anyone may say to the contrary, proton torpedoes have only ever been used against stationary targets. And I had never even heard the term concussion missiles until the SW RPG came out. I suggest making the fighter torpedoes more assault oriented than dog-fight oriented. (Don't reply to this here, I posted it in the weapons thread. Reply there.)

Well, these are my thoughts for the moment. I have some other thoughts and observations which I'll post in the appropriate forum sections. I'll keep playing and reporting in with my experiences. Nice job bringing this thing together so far everybody (especially MajorTom), it looks like a winner! [8D]

*edit*
Holy Guacamole! I just tried the mod with an FOV of 0.61 and, WOW! It looks awsome! It even made the ship feel like it was flying faster because things passed out of view to the edge more quickly. You guys can do what you want, but for me 0.61 is now the FOV of choice. It looks even better in MP than it did in SP. I think it's because as MajorTom pointed out; there are more things closely cluttered on the MP maps. Woohoo! I'm off!

More
19 years 9 months ago #10929 by MajorTom
We've been through the speed issue before in this same thread (on the previous page)
To get repeatable hit counts we had to reduce the acceleration values.

On FOV

I dunno what map you were trying, but the magnified Fish Eye perspective at 0.7 or 0.6 is just not an option. it distorts distances and sizes too much.

On the Station Assault map it looks like you are 5 km away from the Imp base and in reality you are 18 - 20 km away from it. The Team fortress map and the maze also get out of proportion.

Most unnaturally, it makes the models look closer than they are. Thus distorting all size proportions we've been working to conserve the whole time.
Also the opposing ship crosses you complete field of view much, much faster so you don't have time to shoot at it as it passes. (and that is also why it's harder to hit a target.)

The only real option would be to reduce the size of all the objects on the map and put them closer together.
a) we don't have the models to do that with.
b) it would take weeks to re-do all the maps, all over again.