SW MP Voice/Sound stuff

More
19 years 10 months ago #18078 by Hot4Darmat
I might as well post this here: I've sent MT several voice stream files for the MP, just to spice it up a little. They're mostly basic little deathmatch kinds of phrases, like "eat that sucker" and "NOOOooo" but in a Star Warsy kind of vein. I'll wait for feedback from MT to make sure they're formatted right and they work well in the game, etc. but I wanted to put out a request for any ideas anyone might have for more phrases.

We've already got stuff like "Lock S-foils in the attack position.", "The Force is strong in this one.", "Die Rebel scum." (MT can provide a more complete list, I seem to have deleted mine), but post any request for additional specific phrases or voice files you'd like to see ingame here. Also, this might be a good place to discuss other sound-related issues, such as sound effects and/or ambient music.

--
Hot4Darmat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #9985 by Second Chance
The most pressing audio issue, as I understand it, is where the sounds will come from. And wether or not they will be supplied with the mod.

btw - MT, I thought the R2-D2 sound when opening and closing the wings was perfect. Just really cool. And I like the idea for an R2 scream when hit. Oh, and how about the "Lock S-foils..." sound plays when you actually do open the wings? That would be cool.

Oh yeah. For battles, I think any part or whole of the Death Star battle music from the first movie would be aces. :D

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 10 months ago #9990 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic SW MP Voice/Sound stuff
Hot4, thanks again for the streams. To be truthfull I haven't tried them yet but will soon. Mainly thanks a lot for the idea!

we can now have "verbal" taunts to compliment/replace the typed ones. The game already has a set of predefined strings for standard taunts and they are triggered by standard keybinds (shift+1, shift+2, shift+3, ect.) so we can just replace them with the sound url and have the sound play on the recieving client.

The other stuff is usefull for other ingame functions too.

The most pressing audio issue, as I understand it, is where the sounds will come from. And wether or not they will be supplied with the mod.

Yes I'm a bit concerned about copyright issues.
I've been using original sounds from the XWA CD. An easy way to prevent copyright issues would be to have the user just copy his sound files from his own XWA CD into the appropriate folder in the mod. That way we wouldn't be distributing other proprietary sound files with the mod.
The disadvantage is, it's more troublesome for the user.

Alternativly We can remix all the sound files for example using the bink and smacker freeware tools and thus make them new (by mixing in a little of something else thats practically indistinguishable).
The disadvantage here is an additional several hours work before we can release the mod beta

For music, we have 2 pieces of fan music. Currently, no official permission to use it yet, but I'm working on that.
We do need a few more music pieces though, so if anyone can find some usable, non proprietary stuff (or get permision for use) please grab it.

The "new" GUI plays music dependent on the ship type selected. currently for rebel ships "the Cantina Song" and for imperial ships "glory of the empire". I'd rather use the Cantina Song in game so if anyone can find any more music that provides a "rebel" association that would be helpfull too.

You'll have the music and sound stuff to hear in the newest mod version that I expect to upload tonight.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 10 months ago #9996 by Second Chance

The "new" GUI plays music dependent on the ship type selected.

Very cool!

What about the music from RoTJ when the Rebel fleet was assembling? That would work well for the Rebel screen. Or would you prefer to avoid the original SW score altogether, and go with fan based scores?

Is it possible to have different sound taunts play depending on which ship, or at least which side, you choose? That would really add an element of personality to the game.

Good job everyone, btw, on addressing this very important (but often overlooked) issue. Audio in general, I mean. [8D]

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 10 months ago #9999 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic SW MP Voice/Sound stuff

Originally posted by Second Chance

What about the music from RoTJ when the Rebel fleet was assembling? That would work well for the Rebel screen. Or would you prefer to avoid the original SW score altogether, and go with fan based scores?

The music would be fine, but I don't want to put any music in the mod without asking permission. I would prefer Fan music because, by asking them for permission, we wouldn't awaken any sleeping monstors.[xx(]

Is it possible to have different sound taunts play depending on which ship, or at least which side, you choose? That would really add an element of personality to the game.

[^] Yes, thats what's planned, based on which side you're on, because the ship could of course be "contraband". ;)
We only have 4 slots for auto taunts but still, I'll do the pog for that within the next few days.

Thats largly the same as when you get hit by an ion cannon. currently, if you are in the X-Wing, you hear R2 scream, in all other rebel ships you hear the mean sounding Tie flyby. [}:)]
As soon as we have a rebel ship with disruptors that will be suplimented, so if you are in a Tie and get hit by the B-Wing disruptor you'll hear ... hmm, I dunno what, any ideas?
(The B-Wing flyby isn't very intimidating.)

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 10 months ago #10003 by Second Chance

Yes, thats what's planned, based on which side you're on,

Cooooooooool! [8D]

We only have 4 slots for auto taunts

What's an auto taunt? Couldn't you make more by making your own taunt code with an INI list of sounds? (Lol, see how easy it is to add things to a project until it never has a chance of being completed :p.)