Saturns Moons

More
18 years 10 months ago #13219 by Vali
Replied by Vali on topic Saturns Moons
Ok guys.
Give me an e-mail address and I’ll send you a mined out asteroid.
I'm <font color="red"><font size="2">NOT</font id="size2"></font id="red"> joking!

{edit}:\

Still not interested?
Maybe these will untie your fingers.

my new ship modyfications

asteroid 1

asteroid 2

Well?

When a boss says “Go!” the leader says “Let’s move out!”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13223 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic Saturns Moons
Hi Vali,

Sorry for the slow response. The other team members and I have been hard at work on the Middle States Beta. We haven't had so much time to peruse the boards or work on any new features etc.

Your asteroids look exactly like what we are going to need. Just not right at this moment. We are planning a Mining career package and accompanying features (asteroids, asteroid environments etc), but until we get the Middle States as solid as we can, we are not devoting any time to it. However, the good things is perhaps 75% of this Mining package is done. What we are lacking is some nice asteroids, like you have made. If you are willing to make let us use those, and perhaps construct some more for us, well, that would be a great aid and addition to what we are planning.

I am sure GrandpaTrout has a whole slew of ideas. I could dream up a few too. If you are up for it, maybe you could start plugging away on those models while we continue with the Middle States tuning.

Now as for texturing your ship. Well, it looks quite sleek and cool. Rather like a ship I designed for another game long ago. However, I have never textured a ship. I don't really have any idea of how it would work. I suppose I could learn, but I am far from an expert. My skills are limited to wrapping a square texture around a roughly spherical object (asteroid or a planet).

Nevertheless, the Epic mod needs a couple of nice ship models. Something new, but very similar to the existing styles would be ideal. How about creating a couple of new ships for Epic? Do that and I will TEACH myself how to texture ships.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13224 by Vali
Hi cambragol,

I’ll be happy to help. Asteroid and ship models aren’t to hard for me.
If you, GrandpaTrout or any one else have any ideas for asteroids or ship models let me know and I’ll make them.

But, you should know that I’m using 3D Studio Max 7 so I wound be able to open and modify an already existing model. But I can see them with the Geobrowse.

Also, the 2 asteroids I made are 790 and 1500 polys and my ship is over 8000 polys.
Of course I can break them up into separate 800 poly objects.
Just don’t put all the asteroids in the same cluster.
A single hipoly asteroid shouldn’t slow down the game.

Well I’m awaiting orders.

Faith is eternal!

More
18 years 10 months ago #13226 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic Saturns Moons
Hi Vali,

Glad for the help! Another hand always makes the work lighter. And we have been working without a competent 3d modeller for too long.

I have Lightwave 7, and I also have a plugin to convert plugins, so I can convert anything you make to a llghtwave format. I believe.

Now, as for the kinds of models we need...well, Lots of interesting, somewhat unique asteroids models would be nice. We plan to spread them out across the cluster, as environments around stations. So the more unique models we have, the more varied and unique the environment will be. Asteroids of up to 3000 polygons are acceptable, but around 1000-2000 would be better to keep framerates down. These asteroids would be used sparingly in anycase, with the rest of any asteroid field being made up of many, much simpler and smaller asteroids.
A couple of big asteroids that could be used as 'moonbases' would be cool as well. I will be able to attach station and asteroid bases components to most whatever you make. Relatively flat areas or even craters would be cool for such.

For ships, I am thinking that a good starting place would be to very closely imitate an already existing EoC ship. A patcom or corvette for example. I would think that to a certain degree design/functional requirements and system limitations might result in ships that look very very similar, despite being designed and produced by different people/corporations. Just look at cars, airplanes or ships as an example. An F18 Eagle and a Mig 21 come from totally different industrial complexes, and yet look remarkably similar.

In anycase, imitating an existing design will keep the flavor of the I-War universe, and will provide a nice starting point for you. It also should be easier than designing a ship from scratch. That is just my general thought on the matter. Maybe GrandpaTrout has some more specific input. I guess I should mention that any ships you design will be something we want to add to the 'ship upgrade' path for the player.

Okay, back to debugging! Send any more thoughts you have my way, I will be glad to hear them. Thanks again Vali

More
18 years 10 months ago #13227 by Joco
Replied by Joco on topic Saturns Moons
Thinking about this shape of new ships can be thought of in a couple of ways.

1. following existing looks
2. doing some new looks as if the ships have come from a new manufacturer

Personally I would like to see a bit of both. However the fundamental is to make sure the ships stick with some of the fundamental mechanics of the I-War universe. The key being the plasma ring of the fusion plant. That is why the patcom looks like it is essentially made of a circle with bits stuck on the front and back. The circle is driven by the power-plants plasma ring. So bigger ships can hid this as they effectively swallow the circle(s) of the plasma rings used in their power plants. Indeed really large ships might have multiple such rings along their length or stacked. Smaller ships get ineteresting. As at some point artisitic licence has been used to get something "cool" versus something that reflects the physical imperatives of the ring. e.g. Storm Petrel.
However arguments about smaller plasma rings being enough for small one man ships might hold.

Just my 5 cents worth. [8D]

More
18 years 10 months ago #13232 by Vali
New asteroid!

It has a big crystal inside it.
I’m all out of ideas on asteroids so if anyone has some new ideas for me please tell me.

I think that we should have a few completely new ships (secret projects, alien ships and other stuff like that). My Iron Wolf can be an unknown alien ship. I have a god idea for a new Storm Petrel.

One more question. Because I’ll work for this team doesn’t it mean that I’m a member?

Well, back to the modeling board.