EoC planet objects?

More
19 years 4 weeks ago #12817 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic EoC planet objects?
This is really good news! What kind of FPS changes do you get while in close orbit to a planet?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 weeks ago #12818 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic EoC planet objects?
That's wonderful! I am certainly doing something wrong in my process then. Here's my steps:

1.) Make a 256x256 .lbm texture. Save it as Planet_LOD_0.LBM. Then save two more copies named Planet_LOD_1.LBM and Planet_LOD_2.LBM. These LBM files go into a folder named Planets which lie inside a folder named avatars.

2.) Make a 1 meter diameter sphere in Lightwave. Mine has 1500 polygons. Give the sphere a surface named Planet. Open the Surfaces Panel and apply set the surface color texture map to Planet_LOD_0.lbm. Set the texture type to cubic. Hit Automatic sizing. Close surface panel.

3.) Open the Object Panel and save the object as Planet_LOD0.lwo. Then clear the scene and repeat these steps to create identically mapped but differently named LOD objects (i.e., Planet_LOD1.lwo and Planet_LOD2.lwo).

4.) Run the converter on all the objects. Discard the texture files the converter kicks out on each object. Keep only the Planet_LOD0.pso, Planet_LOD1.pso, and Planet_LOD2.pso files in the Planets folder.

5.) Place the avatars folder into a zipped mod folder and start the game.

In the steps above, do you see anywhere where I've done something differently than what you outlined above?

More
19 years 4 weeks ago #12821 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic EoC planet objects?
Glad you guys are pleased. I can tell you I was estatic when it worked. A theory suddenly came to me, I tested it and it worked. That felt good.

Now Shane, I will answer your query first.

I see some differences. Let me first clarify that I did everything in Lightwave 5.6

Also, I will let you know the exact settings on my Convertor, because they matter it seems.

In the Texture Size panel of the convertor, minimum is set to 256 256 and maximum to 1024 1024...not sure if this has any effect

However both "Force Square Texure Pages" and LOD optimization are NOT selected. I believe this matters.

In the Conversion Panel the Conversion type is Normal. Texture Prefix is not relevant I believe...

Now as for what you are doing. Firstly, it should be a 1 meter RADIUS sphere, not diameter. Secondly, the texture type should be a cylindrical projection, not square. Square did not work for me. Only Cylindrical, Spherical and Planar worked. My spheres are different in one respect to the originals: The textures only wrap once, not twice. Thirdly, it doesn't matter where the .lbm texures are. You just need them to be associated with the Planet surface. They have no bearing or relevence once the file is converted to PSO.
I am not sure why you are getting textures from the convertor. I did not. Also, your names are wrong. It should be Planet_LOD0_0.lbm, Planet_LOD1_0.lbm and Planet_LOD2_0.lbm ....that is probably the problem right there. (notice that it is 0_0 1_0 and 2_0)

Try again, and let me know if it is still not working.

As for the framerates...well, using my 3450 polygon model, I am getting no noticable change, or a slight increase in framerate. I am not sure why...Needs more checking, but thus far this is what I am seeing.

More
19 years 4 weeks ago #12823 by Vali
Replied by Vali on topic EoC planet objects?
<font size="3">C[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]l</font id="size3"> work guys!!!
I’m looking forward to see those low-orbit stations.

Faith is eternal!

When a boss says “Go!” the leader says “Let’s move out!”

More
19 years 4 weeks ago #12825 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic EoC planet objects?
Thanks Cambragol. It was my texture names. The planets now look great. Kudos to you! :)

And to think I made the same error three times in a row! Ugh. Must be getting old. :D

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #12861 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic EoC planet objects?
Just a crazy idea, but now that we can recreate the planet objects and textures, is there any chance that glowing surfaces can be added? Would it be possible to have a city scape attached some how?