EoC planet objects?

More
19 years 2 months ago #18386 by GrandpaTrout
Has anyone tried replacing the standard planet objects in EoC? I have some stations in low orbit. It is really cool to approach the station and fall into the shadow of this huge planet. But (of course) it really makes the small poly count visible.

-Gtrout

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #12514 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic EoC planet objects?
Never thought about it actually. I don't think it would be too difficult. Just go to the lines in planets.ini that say
Code:
planet_models[] = "model:/avatars/planets/Planet_LOD2" planet_models[] = "model:/avatars/planets/Planet_LOD1" planet_models[] = "model:/avatars/planets/Planet_LOD0"
And replace the models with higher res spheres.

More
19 years 2 months ago #12515 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic EoC planet objects?
New question: Does anyone have higher res spheres? Mostly just for the lowest LOD?

-Gtrout

More
19 years 2 months ago #12516 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic EoC planet objects?
I can make the objects; Set up a sphere with around 800 polys (which is all that will safely go through the converter). Very quick.

But how large do I make the sphere?

If all the planet models (.pso) are the same size, then the geography program would have to scale them up or down to the correct sizes upon system creation.

Or... geography documentation notwithstanding, are all planets in EoC actually the same size? I can't recall ever seeing two planets close enough to judge if one was larger than the other.

More
19 years 2 months ago #12517 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic EoC planet objects?
Hey Shane Thanks! That would be great. I only really need that LOD 0. (As you can see, I still have not learned to use lightwave yet)

I think the models are all the same size because the game is scaling them (somehow) when it places the planets. The planets are different sizes. We don't have a way of knowing the start size however, do we... Would it be made to be size 1.0? That would make scaling really easy.

-Gtrout

More
19 years 2 months ago #12519 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic EoC planet objects?

Would it be made to be size 1.0? That would make scaling really easy.

As in 1 meter diameter? We could try that. If it turns out to be too small we'll just increment by multiples of ten until we find the right one.

Tonight I'm swamped but I can have them to you by tomorrow afternoon.