The "new" Mon Calamari MC80 Cruiser

More
19 years 3 months ago #12290 by Second Chance
Thanks for the compliment, andrewas. I don't really have a good answer to that question, and it's a good one. LucasArts specifically declared that their Jump to Lightspeed models are absolutely accurate. But that's like declaring that the sky is made of fish.

This picture says a thousand words. The Millennium Falcon, perhaps one of the most popular and well documented ships, ever. Yet this version is apparently based on the Kenner toy (with real lights and sounds!). It's proportions are so visibly off, that I would love to know what they used as the reference. And what are those glows on the backs of the Tie Fighters. Those are supposed to be windows! Why are they lit up like engines? On the rare ocassion that a Tie Fighter's engines are visible, they're just two little red dots on either side of the window.

This is not arcane secret canon knowledge. Spend five minutes looking at the movie models and you'll see just about everything you need to see to make a decent replica. Again, I would love to know what they used as source material.

I won't question the artists abilities. After all, they're professionals and I'm not. I'm sure the models came out exactly as the artists were told to make them. What I question is why LucasArts, of anyone in the world, who has unlimited access to perfect specimens, would choose to allow poorly researched and poorly constructed models into their games.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #12296 by Hot4Darmat
Maybe its an effort to re-write canon to they can sell more Kenner toys. The Falcon looks exactly like the Kenner playset, and very little like the ship we all know and love.

--
Hot4Darmat

More
19 years 3 months ago #12302 by andrewas
Whats especialy puzzling is both the TIEs and the Falcon were much more correct in X-Wing : Alliance. Lucas evindently dosent pay more than lip service to the ideas of continuity and a stable canon.

More
19 years 3 months ago #12307 by Second Chance
I should correct myself a little. I did some digging around on the Galaxies website and found some much better pics of the ships to look at. And actually, the fighters are pretty decent. They look mostly accurate, structurally, when compared to the movie models. Their problems come from bizarre deliberate things like the engine/window issue above and completely changing the entire engine design of some the fighters for no good reason. But looking closely at the Falcon model; it does, in fact, appear to be a reasonably accurate replica of the Kenner Toy playset. Which is the "real" Falcon's Bizarro World counterpart. What in the world could be the reason for that? Maybe Hot4Darmat is right. Although, according to my brand-new Millennium Falcon playset box (am I a child or what :D), Hasbro has suplanted the mighty Kenner as the new super power of Star Wars toys.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 3 months ago #12324 by Second Chance
It's in the game, woohoo!

I still need to tweak it a bunch and play with the meshes to get it displaying better, but here's the first screenie of it in-game. What a monster!