YT-1300 and its enhancements

More
19 years 8 months ago #11531 by Second Chance
Thanks for keeping your eyes open for me. :)

Interesting trailer for the Galaxies game. My jaw still drops every time I look at their YT-1300 model. It's the most god-awful thing I've ever seen. Somehow, someway, they managed to get every single dimension wrong. It looks like some fan-boy newbie built it based off the old Kenner toy. I can't believe LucasArts let that through, especially since it's obviously going to be a popular ship. If I had known the pros were going to fudge it so badly I would have offered to give them mine, free and clear. It may not have every dimension aligned to the centimeter (though it almost does :D), but at least it looks like an actual YT-1300 and not a goofy characature. It's a real shame, since they did a pretty good job on the other models (considering that the game isn't meant to be space sim).

On another note, I see they ended up with jedi-types running around all over the place anyway, continuity be damned. I guess they figured that with Battlefront now gold they could let Galaxies fall to the wanna-be jedi nuts.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 8 months ago #11532 by dertien
Indeed their YT-1300 looks awfully goofy, I have one myself, but it is a scale model kit like this one:

www.larottadikessel.it/images/fa ... CN0368.JPG

see this guy's website for the Star destroyer pics, its amazing, maybe an ideal reference for texturing yours?
And he built a Death Star from old business cards and plastic, super realistic and cool.
I think it is not a good idea to get your surface details out of the movies, since even screenshots of the DVD releases result in crappy photographs.

still looking for that calamari though, :)

nice Nebulon-B and Slave One pics too, anyway, great website

And then this one, www.starshipmodeler.org/gallery7/yu_falcon6.jpg .

Will there be lights on ur falcon, like this ?

And this one, built from scratch, quite impressive and very detailed:
www.ketzer.com/

Peace out!

Gute Leute muss man haben, Gute Leute !

More
19 years 8 months ago #11533 by dertien
Ok Second Chance, got some pictures/schematics together for your Calamari Cruiser. Actually theres a few different cruisers, so choose the one fits you best. I also added other pictures of very detailed models for the falcon. Maybe u can use them for texturing or making your high quality LOD. Send me an e-mail message and I will send the zip file to you.

mailto: mailto:steven.gordts1@pandora.be]steven.gordts1@pandora.be .

I have lightwave 7.0b as well as the New Riders inside lightwave 7.0 book. I have not much experience in making 3D files in LW. I have done some work in Nendo 3d, and in Oxygen (Operation Flashpoints ingame 3D program) but that is hardly the same.

I will now start to experiment with a few simple LWO objects and try to use them ingame, so i can get a feeling and routine for the process and start my first avatar for EOC.
I hope Major Tom can assist me with the configuration to put it ingame.

If everything goes well I will start with this ship:

I have Photoshop 5.5 for the texture creation work.

www.starshipbuilder.com/republic ... iser02.jpg
I didn't find any blueprints online, so I guess I will need to make them according to "feeling" and "eyesight", fortunately, theres lots of very detailed pictures on this one.

Peace out !!!

More
19 years 8 months ago #11534 by dertien
Second Chance, I have a question for you.
Do I need to change the LW display and general setup in any way in the Modeller in order to start modelling for EOC, or is the standard setup fine ?

How many polygones is your tie-fighter, could you send me the model in LWO format so I can have a look at how you worked ? I know what LOD's are, but I dunno how to make them.

I have still a few things to do, like make the blueprints, and create a basic model in LW modeller, so you can take your time.

I will now need to read part of the manual, cause I dont want to keep you off modelling too long :).

hear you soon.

XIII

Peace out!!!

More
19 years 7 months ago #11536 by Second Chance
No, I don't think you need to change anything in your general setup. Just ignore the default camera and light, or move them if they're in your way.

The Tie Fighter is broken down into three structures; the hull ball, the wing struts and the wings. The ship totals 631 polys, but that doesn't matter. The only real limit to total polys in a model is the machine it will be run on. That's how I get so much detail in my ships. Just build your ship (but obviously try not to let your poly count get rediculous), and then break it up into structures of less than 800 polys (it's ok to go over). And reassemble these structures in the avatar scene.

If your interested, here's the breakdown of polys:
wings - 164
hull - 271
struts - 196

But as you can see, the Tie Fighter didn't exactly need a whole lot of polys to look good.

Also, here's a tip: If you're making something as small as these fighters, don't make three LODs, only make two. The LOD switching distance is apparently based on the size of the model, and tiny objects switch too fast to look good. You'll still be very close to the object when it switches to the next LOD, and that doesn't look good (you can see this illustrated in some of MajorTom's great screenshots, where the camera is still pretty close to the ship but the ship has already switched to the blocky second LOD). And tiny objects can't even be made out beyond a few hundred meters. So my advice is to use two copies of the high detail model for the high and medium LODs, and use a really, really low poly model for the low LOD.

About sending you the Tie Fighter, I'll have to check with the rest of the team.

Oh, btw, nice job on the Republic cruiser. I'll send you an email about the mon cal pics.

*edit*

Will there be lights on ur falcon, like this ?

I'm not sure. I didn't see any external lighting on that guy's model other than the engine. But if you're talking about that awsome cockpit lighting of his, then I'm afraid the answer is no, sorry. The ship does have some external lighting; port and starboard nav lights, and the so-called "headlights" on the bow mandibles. Oh, and of course the engine.

If anyone wants to point out lighting that they think should be included on the YT-1300 I'm willing to listen.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4