New info about the pso converter

More
19 years 9 months ago #18200 by Second Chance
Wow! What a nightmare! I thought I was going crazy!

Well, I've just discovered something about the pso converter. Apparently it stores texture information in memory, and will reuse it in favor of new information. If you have different textures, even in different folders, but with the same name, and don't shut down and restart the converter after each batch of pso converting, you run the risk of the converter incorrectly assigning the wrong textures to your objects.

At first I couldn't figure out why the new pso files of the Ties wouldn't show the updated textures I made. They just kept coming out with the same old original textures. Even after I had deleted them! I finally solved the problem by renaming the surfaces and reapplying the new textures (but it was unnecessary as I'll soon explain).

Then I went to update the A-Wing textures. When I remade the pso files and looked at them in-game; lo and behold, the A-Wing was partially covered in Tie Fighter textures! How the hell did that happen?! The files were never anywhere near each other. Well, it turns out that the two textures that were wrong on the A-Wing were; hull_top and hull_back. Care to take a guess at two of the texture names for the Tie Fighter? Yep, you guessed it, hull_top and hull_back. I hadn't shut down the converter at all through the whole process and, apparently it just used the texture info for hull_top and hull_back that it already had. Which were the Tie Fighter textures. And it must store the actual texture map image info, not just the pathname, because it kept assigning texture information that didn't exist to the Tie Fighters!

All I had to do was close the converter and restart it. And, swish, no more texture problems.

So if your working on multiple groups of object files at once, and have standard repeating names you use for your textures then I suggest you close and restart the converter each time you start work on a different ship.

I hope this info helps everyone avoid the aggrevation I had to go through to find it out. :D

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.