High Poly Venice Model

More
19 years 9 months ago #11262 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic High Poly Venice Model
Very good and creative ideas. An idea I wondered about was; since the glow is linked to the thruster channel, were the original modelers aiming to make the surface look transparent (but couldn't achieve the full effect with Flux's surfacing limitations)?

Here's another interesting question; Why is the lowest thruster (the six-sided bottom one) differently shaped than the other thrusters? It almost looks like some type of booster rocket, but it works in tandem with the main thrusters in the game. Any ideas on that? (I kinda like the idea of a chemical, fuel-based booster to overcome inertia when moving full cargo loads.)

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #11292 by Hot4Darmat
Replied by Hot4Darmat on topic High Poly Venice Model
Shane, I've already told you how beautiful I think this model is in a recent email, but I have to tell you something else: I keep loading up the image of this freighter just to gaze at it. Like the others have said, it's a sign of the eye-pleasing detail and care you've given to constructing this model. So there you have it: another Venice junky constantly coming back for another fix of eye-candy.

I'll let you return to your debates about the technical details, but would like to risk referring you all to my story "Uncertain Freight" (available to read in the fan fiction section of this site) which is almost entirley set aboard a Venice-class freighter. Not that the story is all that great, but it does allow you to see the inside of my own personal idea of what the Venice was all about. I envisioned it as a true working-class freight-hauling vessel, not as a warship at all. It's huge, so it can take a beating to some extent, but it is not designed for battle by any stretch. My version even had a specially shielded section deep within the crew tower lovingly called "The Box" by crew members, for times when conventional shielding wouldn't be enough to withstand nasty radiation storms, etc. I worked out (meaning I totally fabricated) more of the ship's interior than I needed to for the story, but this thing would have tender bays for docking smaller service vessels and drones in the back of the crew section 'spine', pod docking and cargo control areas and enough accomodation, recreation areas for crew, galley, and office space to house a small town. Modular construction only makes sense to me. Even todays massive containerships go into drydock for hull length extensions from time to time. Massive power plants get 'popped' in and out without too much technical fretting, and superstructures can change shape radically in a given vessels service lifetime.

I defer to others with more technical expertise than me on space and naval things (i.e. everyone) to solve the glowing front plates on the engines. I like GrandpaTrout's ideas.

--
Hot4Darmat

More
19 years 9 months ago #11294 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic High Poly Venice Model
Thanks Hot4. I will most certainly look Uncertain Freight over in great length. [8D]

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
19 years 9 months ago #11358 by Sivadrake
Replied by Sivadrake on topic High Poly Venice Model
looks damn good shane :) however im still waiting for the Terrapin :D

"Dust to dust we're wired into sadness"

More
19 years 9 months ago #11359 by Sivadrake
Replied by Sivadrake on topic High Poly Venice Model
[/quote]"Well, it's the future and I'm sure they have some magical system where the pilot throws a pill into space and it grows into a fully-functional spacecraft."
[/quote]

LOL why not man? that would be soooo cool[8D]

More
19 years 9 months ago #11362 by Second Chance
I thought the Terrapin was released a while ago.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4