High Poly Venice Model

More
19 years 9 months ago #11383 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic High Poly Venice Model
It kinda snuck in... my fault completely for not posting a thread. I sent it in and then got sidetracked and forgot. Ahh... the joys of middle-age. ;)

Thanks for the compliments on the Terrapin, guys. But without the wonderful ideas and critiques from the members of this forum, she wouldn't look anywhere near as nice as she does.

Be sure to read the excellent history Hot4Darmat created for this ship. Much more entertaining than the standard encyclopedia entry. :)

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #11384 by Sivadrake
Replied by Sivadrake on topic High Poly Venice Model
ah now youre just being humble :p im gonna get some shots of it kicking ass and post em:D

"Dust to dust we're wired into sadness"

"Dust to dust we're wired into sadness"

More
19 years 9 months ago #11385 by Shane
Thanks Sivadrake. :)

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
19 years 9 months ago #11386 by Second Chance
I can't believe how critical they're being over on the atari forum. I'll bet if you had made the Defiant they would've been gushing all over it. I think the Terrapin is a beautifully designed and original ship. And after all, everything looks like something if you squint hard enough.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 9 months ago #11387 by Shane
Thanks Second Chance, but really it's not a big deal. Some of the criticisms are dead on.

The low-poly count is low. (The Terrapin was built before you proved to me extra sections don't really impact the processor as much as I was warned.)

And, as I mentioned to Hot4Darmat, were it not for your fine models they'd probably go going "Gosh! Wow!".

See? You spoiled them. :D

And the textures indeed took a beating to get them into the correct size for emailing. Were I to set up my own website (something I'm looking into now with great vigour), they wouldn't have to be reduced to 256x256. My smoothing choices weren't really good choices either.

Still, for someone who bought LW, had never modeled anything (didn't know what a vertex was), and was too impatient to go through the manuals and tutorials... I'm still pretty happy with her. She certainly doesn't look like the Defiant to me... maybe like a Puffin on LSD... but no Defiant. ;)

Wanna here something incredibly funny (or really pathetic)? I recently (like last week) realized that since I've owned EoC I've been running with the texture sizes option set to the smallest possible level. :D I just never changed it. I set it to the largest setting and am blown away every single time I see a ship. My god! The detail! PS did a finer job than I had realized (and, grrrrr!, I might have to go back and correct some details on the Venice).

More
19 years 9 months ago #11388 by Second Chance

See? You spoiled them. :D

I'm sorry [V]. See my atari post for how I feel about that.

I see why they feel it looks like the Defiant from that pic. You're basically looking at a central hull that's curved at the front, tapering winglets on each side and a protruding nose section. The layout is vaguely similar, but, as has been mentioned already; what the hell are you supposed to do? At this point it's barely even possible to come up with something that doesn't resemble anything in existence. It doesn't mean it isn't original. You know when the last time was that I saw something that didn't look like anything I'd ever seen before? The original USS Enterprise from 1966. Almost every other sci-fi spaceship is based, in one way or another, on modern naval ships.

Well, what can you do? I still think the Terrapin is hot, just the way it is. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't steal it for SpaceMaster. :D

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4