Finally. . . X-Wing Fighter in game shots!

More
20 years 4 weeks ago #9496 by Second Chance

When do i get to get my grubby little hands on it?

Pretty soon MT, I'm just finalizing the setups for animation (there are nine LW scenes for the avatar!). At least your part of the animation work is cake.

Awsome about the custom SW backgrounds! Let me know if I can do any 3D pics for you (like with the ships or whatever).

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 4 weeks ago #9497 by Sivadrake
hey SC i was wondering how you set up the movement of the wings for the X-Wing, is it a keybind? Also i'd love to get a hold of one of these, could be very fun:D

"Dust to dust we're wired into sadness"

"Dust to dust we're wired into sadness"

More
20 years 4 weeks ago #9498 by Second Chance
Well actually, I didn't, that's MajorTom's job. What I did was set up the model so it could be animated (through flux), hence the nine LW scenes. But yes, it should be a keybind. MajorTom will set it up so that when you activate the guns (which will normally be deactivated) the wings will open. Then you shut down your weapons to close the wings (very important for docking).

Hey MajorTom, this is making me think. How about, everyone has to activate their shields and weapons when they go into battle. We could make some kind of reason why you wouldn't fly around like that all the time. May be a little more realistic. Just a thought.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
20 years 4 weeks ago #9501 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Second Chance

Well actually, I didn't, that's MajorTom's job.

It will be with a key bind. But the other way around: when you open the wings the guns will be activated. ;) We won't be using the TRI in the StarWars mod so the existing key bind for "Full Power To Engines" will be used to toggle the wings position. It'll be easy to add a little query to the docking function that checks if the wings are closed before allowing you to dock.
btw: I just edited the pog example that toggles speed over in the other X-Wing thread. (just so the player can't increase the speed more than once if he hits the keybind multiple times within the 1 sec time span.)

Hey MajorTom, this is making me think. How about, everyone has to activate their shields and weapons when they go into battle. We could make some kind of reason why you wouldn't fly around like that all the time. May be a little more realistic. Just a thought.

Theoretically thats a cool idea but remember, Everything a player does or activates: like changing speed, activating weapons, shooting, changing directions, docking ect., has to be propagated to the server and then from the server to all other clients.
When an occasional X-Wing pilot joins a game and activates his weapons thats one server event (sent to all other clients)
If all players have to activate weapons that would require a lot more server events (all_players x all_players) and slow the game down or make it stutter. (especially during the join process because lots of data is transmitted then anyhow).

I'm already (just a little bit) concerned what will happen if a whole squadron of X-Wings join at once.
We can try it out (all players and just X-Wings) in the beta tests (we'll need a minimum of 10 to 12 players to test that)

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
20 years 4 weeks ago #9505 by Second Chance
Good points, probably best to keep it to a minimum. I forgot about the server/client event propagation (silly me, I'm always thinking about SP).

More
20 years 2 weeks ago #9729 by MajorTom
Now in the MP game too:

with the wings closed

.... and opened

In case you missed it in the other thread here's a movie (497kb) to DL with the animation in action.

download it, unzip it, double click it, let your windows media player go to work

note: To reduce download size, the movie was made at 15 fps so the animation shown is a little slower than it actually runs in the game.

The animation is coupled with two functions:
a) the weapons are locked down when the wings are closed
b) when the wings are closed the ship flys 10% faster at top speed.

That makes it easier to catch up with the bad guys, then you can open the Sfoils and the weapons go online so you can blast away.

The X-Wing is the ideal ship for skirmishes with Tie Fighters. The 4 guns on it increase target coverage. Other ships with only 2 guns often fire between the two upright wings of the Tie and just hit empty space.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site