Finally. . . X-Wing Fighter in game shots!

More
20 years 1 month ago #18021 by Second Chance
I finally managed to get the whole ship to show up, and here it is! :D

I still have a slight texture issue with the fuselage, but hopefully that will be fixed soon also.

I got the wings to show up by making the guns seperate parts. I think the guns were causing the problem with the wing mesh. If you look closely at the gun tips in the top pic you can see a slight bit of weirdness with the little curvy bits near the ends, they look like cups. I'll try to resolve this soon also.

I also haven't gotten around to making the engine textures glow yet.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 1 month ago #9479 by MajorTom
Great Work!

Maybe the poly count for the wings with the gun elements included was just too high?

The "cup effect" looks like flux is trying to complete what it assumes to be an enclosed surface because the elements are so close together?

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
20 years 1 month ago #9485 by Sivadrake
yet another beautiful star wars model, good job SC!!:D

"Dust to dust we're wired into sadness"

"Dust to dust we're wired into sadness"

More
20 years 1 month ago #9487 by MajorTom
You know, that "texture issue" could theoretically be a solution instead of a problem if you can use it right:
You wanted to give the ships a cruddy, dirty and worn out, more individual, appearance anyhow.
Maybe you can manipulate the effect a little bit so that looking at it from different angles will cause different "texture issues"?(perhaps mix some beveled and some rounded surfaces on the model?)

Lol, [:I] It's probably not such a cool idea, but it is a different way of looking at the problem. ;)

More
20 years 1 month ago #9490 by Second Chance
Ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has left the building. And all model and texture issues have been resolved. [^]

Here's the finished product.

Shane - I've saved the file with the messed up gun polys in case you wanted to see the source of all the trouble. It's pretty funky. :p And it isn't the poly count.

Sorry MajorTom, your idea is well conceived, but we just don't have that level of control over polygons. Fixing a poly with some screwed up geometry is one thing, deliberately screwing up a poly's geometry is something beyond my knowledge. And probably beyond flux's ability to handle properly.

btw - Thanks, Sivadrake. :D

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
20 years 1 month ago #9493 by MajorTom
B..B..Beautiful :D

Great work! When do i get to get my grubby little hands on it?

btw: I finally discovered how to make custom background images for the ingame GUI:
Normally the function uses .ftu/.ftc format but it will display .iff if the image is exactly 256x256 pixel.
The function stretches the 256 image across the whole screen so you need either a really good sharp image or an intentionally difused one.
Hooray, Yaaay! :pWe can make StarWars backgrounds now too! :D