Tie Fighter model (...finished and textured)

More
20 years 2 months ago #9193 by Second Chance
Well, for a Tie Fighter, canon would be just the two guns. But for gameplay purposes I don't necessarily see anything wrong with having additional weapons on the same nulls. I've also just found out that the Tie Interceptor actually has ten guns, so I'm going to add the remaining four gun nulls shortly. As I understand it the original two gun mounts under the ball and four others in the wing recesses are "laser canons" of the typical green Tie Fighter type. The four guns on the wing tips are ion canons and so should be blue in color. After referencing several screen caps from the films I think those short bolts you posted a pic of in the other thread should just about be doubled in length and they'll be perfect for the main guns. I also found this pic which might be useful for the flight models.

ILM production chart - ROJ

Apparently it's a reference chart ILM used while filming Return of the Jedi. Note the meaning of the word "medium", the high/med/low designations for maneuverability are relative not absolute. The MGLT acronym stands for "MegaLight", a mysterious term which no one seems to know the meaning of. But at least it compares the flight characteristics of craft important to us [^]. I hope it's of use to you.

MajorTom, as far as sending the Tie Fighter model to Sivadrake; since these models were made specifically for the Star Wars MP mod per your request, you have some say in that. Do you want to wait until the MP mod is out? If you don't care one way or the other I'll just fix him up with the SP versions of what I use for testing. Just let me know if you foresee any issues with releasing the models early, I'll respect you request.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (coming 2004)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 months ago #9195 by MajorTom
The Tie Fighter went into the game with no problem. I haven't got any screenies to post yet because I've been working primarily on some new weapon and drive sound effects. (I've found a way to mix EOC compatible sfx files very simply using the Smacker in Rad Video tools freeware.)

Thanks for the pic, it's a good guideline :)

I think we'll put 2 guns on the fighter using the nulls below the cockpit on the ball, One short range, kinda like a quad, and one longer range with a lower fire rate. Then the player can switch between guns. Additionally, just to make them meaner, we can give it a few short range seeker mines that do only little initial damage but disrupt the target for a few seconds. (Care to make an imperial drone avatar for the seekers?)
I'll do some screenies tomorrow for you.

No problem with more weapons on Tie Interceptor or blue bolts or a blue glow. The problem is we can't give a bolt the disrupter function so the full function of a ion cannon won't be possible (unless we can think of something really cool). If it has more weapons we can balance them down so the thing isn't a real uber killer.
btw. I forgot to re-enable the green glow on the 4 main guns in the Alpha version I sent you. I shut them off trying to deal with stuttering (before I found out it is a sound issue). I'll put em back on in the next version.

Ref. sending the models to Sivadrake (or anyone else) I don't see any reason why not?
The final MP versions are a good ways away. Besides setting them up, they'll need a lot of balancing work before the mod is done.
Meanwhile, you can send him the SP versions you have, He can mod them up for his SP game as he wishes.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
20 years 2 months ago #9200 by MajorTom

More
20 years 1 month ago #9252 by Second Chance
Sivadrake, I've sent you the Tie Fighter setup I use for SP. It's 3.2 megs so you'd better get it out of your email box fast, unless you've got large email storage. Let me know if you have any trouble. :)

MajorTom, about that pic with the three bolts. If you got rid of that shorter middle bolt that is the perfect setup for a Tie Fighter's guns. Set it up for rapid fire and I don't think you could ask for it to look any better than that! [^] Length is perfect, color if perfect. Nice work!

btw - What's up with that docking pic? I hope that's a weirdly placed station dockport and not a problem with the Tie.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
20 years 1 month ago #9254 by MajorTom
I'll do some more work on the bolts. I visited a few "authentic" sites now with descriptions and screenshots of the bolts.

The docking pic: The dock port on the Tie is on the ball and not on the outer perimeter of the ship. The dock port on the station is on the outer surface. Its primarily a size issue, the surface area at the dock port of most I-War ships is much larger than a whole Tie so you don't notice differences of 3 or 4 meters overlapping. The same effect happens when you dock a navy fighter to a station: the nose sinks in about 1/6 of the ship length into the stations avatar.

The easiest fix would be: move the dock port null out to the leading edge of the Tie wings? (a short gap between the models shouldn't be a problem since Tie fighter pilots wear space suits?)
A realistic fix would be to model in a short piece of thin tube (with no collision hull change) on the station and put a new null on that for a "Tie fighter-only" dock port. we could leave the other dock port where it is for larger ships.

Anyhow, I don't think we need to worry about this for now. When we set up a carrier type ship for use as a base we can configure the dock ports as we need them.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
20 years 1 month ago #9255 by Second Chance
Oops, sorry Sivadrake the email came back undelivered. Those underscores in your address are supposed to be there right? I'll try to work something else out.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)