Tie Fighter model (...finished and textured)

More
20 years 1 month ago #9256 by Second Chance
Hmm, that's strange MajorTom. The Tie's docking null is neither on the ball or on the front of the ship. It's actually on the top parallel with the wings top edge. But as I'm typing this I just realized what the problem is. The dockport null is oriented the wrong way, it's facing forward instead of up. I forgot that the dockports have a different orientation than the weapons. That's why the Tie goes halfway through, because the null is located halfway towards the back of the ship. Ok, that's an easy fix. But it means the Interceptor has the same problem. It should only take about 2 seconds each to fix.

*edit*

No, something's not right. I just looked at the setup scenes for both the Fighter and the Interceptor and I remembered that I used the original dockport null from the PS setup scenes. So they are oriented correctly and positioned properly. I've also docked with the interceptor onto the resupply ship in Instant Action and it docks correctly. Are you sure the station null isn't oriented in a weird way?

Could you post another shot of a docked Tie? Maybe with a better view of the body so I can see what's what? Or just mail me one?

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 1 month ago #9257 by Sivadrake
ya the underscores are supposed to be there, but depending on the file size maybe it was too large, you can send it to mailto:Sivadrake@yahoo.com]Sivadrake@yahoo.com , that account has twice the storage limit. i really look forward to flying a tie outside of x-wing vs tie fighter:D

"Dust to dust we're wired into sadness"

More
20 years 1 month ago #9268 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Second Chance

Hmm, that's strange MajorTom. The Tie's docking null is neither on the ball or on the front of the ship. It's actually on the top parallel with the wings top edge.

Oops, My bad.
When I re-did the ini for MP I typed "dockport Top" instead of "Dockport Top". (Now we see what a difference d or D makes.

The engine apparently defaulted the position of the dockport subsystem to the next null it could find listed in the .ini, which was the crew null.

Sorry about that [:I]

They both dock correctly now, on the top edge of the wings.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
20 years 1 month ago #9269 by Second Chance
Whew! Thank goodness. I got worried there for a minute. Yes, the nulls are case sensitive. And interestingly in the SDK they tell you to always name things with lower case letters, and underscores instead of spaces, to avoid problems later on. But the setups frequently have capitals and spaces in them. Just goes to show you how hard it is to get everyone on the same page in a big production enviroment. Good job finding the problem so fast.

btw - I'm pretty positive that if a specified null isn't found it just defaults to position 0,0,0 in the scene. Any subsims without a null also get placed at this position. Which is the default position for objects loaded into a LW scene.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
20 years 1 month ago #9272 by Shane

btw - I'm pretty positive that if a specified null isn't found it just defaults to position 0,0,0 in the scene. Any subsims without a null also get placed at this position. Which is the default position for objects loaded into a LW scene.

I can back that up (had a painful experience with this once :D).

Anytime you see a system sitting in the center of the craft when it should be somewhere else, check the null name against the ini system entry. 99.9% of the time that's where the problem comes from.

Also, if you use LW 7.0 to place nulls in a ship setup scene and do not export to 5.6 format, the nulls will all appear in the center also. Back before I had LW 5.6, I'd occasionally forget to export and wonder why all the systems are lumped in the center of the craft.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 1 month ago #9277 by Sivadrake
ha ha yes i can confirm that as well, when i was making my first real mod for a puffin i had a null named with one different letter in the LW setup, and all of the cannons i put on that null fired out the top of my ship, it was a real pain in the ass but i found it eventually you can download the final version with pylon mounts and all at www.geocities.com/siva_drake/Modding.html