Another size comparison :) *warning spoilers*

More
20 years 2 months ago #8933 by Second Chance
@Sivadrake: Thanks :)

@jumbo: What would you like with that Super Star Destroyer?

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (coming 2004)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 months ago #8935 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
pft! Iw2 all the way. Even if their moon-gun can kill planets, the IW2 universe would still win. Antimatter REM down the shoot ey? forget all that ''the force'' crap :P.

And ELITE (what i consider to be the 'true' iw2 universe) Navy Heavy destroyer and Heavy cruiser, totall ownage of those crappy triangle ships that the Star Wars guys have. And who honestly thinks a Tie fighter would stand a chance vs an advanced pat com?

IW2 rules.

Jwk...comander of =HEMP HUNGRY MONKEY=
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=310

More
20 years 2 months ago #8936 by jumbo
Second Chance things that compare, a regular Star Destroyer, a Corellian Corvette, a Biobomber, a Mega Freighter.

Jumbo

<font color=gold>[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id=gold>
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.

<font color="gold">[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id="gold">
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
<b>It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.</b>

More
20 years 2 months ago #8938 by Hot4Darmat
uh...I thought this was supposed to be a size comparison thread, not a 'my fictional universe can beat your fictional universe' kind of thread. And jwk, brace yourself: niether of them actually exist anyway. Sorry, I know that hurt, but it was for your own good.

@Second Chance: those size comparisons are kind of shocking to me. Back when I first saw SW and was deeply affected by it, I thought there could be nothing bigger than a Star Destroyer, or the Death Star. I guess those impressions are hard to shake, even in the face of actual (fictional) dimensions. I'd like to see a closer up comparison of the dreadnaught class corvette and the Tantive IV blockade runner corvette. I understand they're about the same length.

You already get all the bonus points there are for the previous comparisons, so this is purely a favour-type request.

--
Hot4Darmat

More
20 years 2 months ago #8939 by andrewas
I hate to be pedantic, but that there is an Impstar Deuce (supposed to be 1.6Km, but I'll take your word this one is scaled at .9km) and not a victor.

Imperial Class Star Destroyer:
www.geocities.com/etherway1970/IMPSTAR.html

Victory Class Star Destroyer:
www.kitsune.addr.com/SF-Conversi ... ory_SD.htm

More
20 years 2 months ago #8942 by Second Chance
@andrewas: Yes, and no. Good observation. You're right about the size, a star destroyer is indeed 1.6 km. But those sources you cited are of relatively little value as they provide no sources or evidence to back up their claims (although they may be correct). I fell into the trap of laziness when I grabbed the info. There really is no such thing as a Victory star destroyer (my bad for using the name and length). The so called Victory star destroyer is merely one of the early star destroyer concept drawings by Ralph McQuarrie. Some enterprising individual just gave it a new name and said it was a different class of craft. This has happened many times. Which is fine, why waste good design :D.

Early star destroyer concepts

The only real source of emperical data on any Star Wars craft can be found here:
www.theforce.net/swtc/

With info specific to the star destroyer found here:
www.theforce.net/swtc/isd.html

This is serious stuff. Very heavy on the science.

Great job on checking my facts though because I'm busted [:I]. I forgot to check with these guys before I did my star destroyer size comparison. And, being lazy, just used info out of the Star Wars "Essential Guide" book series, which is also of no real value (and they swapped the pictures of the so called Victory and Imperial classes, sorry for not checking).

My appologies to everyone for my screw up.

To make it up to you all (and save what little face I have left), I've redone the star destroyer size comparison with the proper sizes. Sorry about that.

@Hot4Darmat: Thank you, that argument is sooo old. This thread is about visual references to help establish a sense of scale in EoC.

@Hemp Monkey: :) At least you care enough to speak your mind.

@jumbo and Hot4Darmat: Coming right up...

Proof on the corvette was hard to pin down, but most agree it's about 150 meters. The Executor command ship is 17.6 km (+/-0.2km). I hope they have a cross town bus :p. The Dreadnaught appears to be about 187 meters and the mega freighter appears to be about 2355 meters.

:D Hey! This is fun! Any more requests?

Something else interesting I noticed; the size of the cockpit and Cal modeled into the front of the player ships (like the comsec and anything it attatches to) is wildly out of scale. According to the game models Cal must be about as big as the Lincoln Memorial statue. No wonder the EoC ships are so huge! They're people are giants!

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (coming 2004)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4