Another size comparison :) *warning spoilers*

More
20 years 2 months ago #8954 by Shane

Hey! This is fun! Any more requests?

http://images.snapfish.com/3399%3B%3C6323232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3A7853243ot1lsi

:p:D:D

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 months ago #8955 by Second Chance
Wow, that was some good nyborg mannnn... [:o)](sniff)

Lol, that was my favorite part of that movie. I saw it in the theater you know. :D Is that an indicator of age?

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (coming 2004)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
20 years 2 months ago #8959 by Hot4Darmat
Must be a sign of age, 'cause I saw it in theatres, too. I also remember having the original Angus McKie graphic novel put out by Heavy Metal way back in the day. What was it called? "Earth, So Beautiful, So Dangerous" or something like that? The scale got even weirder when this massive ship in the picture goes up and lands (rather roughly because the pilots are stoned), in the docking bay of an immense vessel that makes this thing look like a pea.

As for the size of EoC ships, there were a few errors in Lucretia's encyclopedia, I think. The dreadnaught, at least the original 929 from the 2260's, was listed as 162 M tip to tail. Perhaps the EoC era X series got lengthened a tad. The scale issue shows up in a bunch of other places as well as the Cal cockpit. If you look at the bridge windows of most of the ships, the window sizes and silhouettes of people hinted at in the red-background textures are way out of scale (ie, immense). According to the scales described, the windows on the Venice-class freighter bridge are over 7M high. Now tell me, who needs windows 7M high? Even airport traffic control towers don't have windows that big! Better yet, fly up close to the bridge of a MegaFreighter or a tanker and have a boo at their bridge windows.

I hate to point out flaws and stuff, but I get the feeling the models were created with one set of scales in mind, then it was decided later to just scale it all up without changing the models or textures. Doesn't change my love for the games, though...just one of those little things that one picks up after spending so much time staring at the game.

Thanks for the comparison pics! Any way we can make comparisons with FS ships, or WC capital ships?

--
Hot4Darmat

More
20 years 2 months ago #8960 by Second Chance
I'll certainly try. Let me look into it.

*Note* The EoC ship sizes I give are, of course, simply the actual length of the collision hulls. But, I don't think the collision hulls are always a perfect match in size with their avatar counterparts. This may explain things like the wierd location of the light PBC "muzzle flashes" on the utility vessel hull, used for the large corporate interceptor. But without the original models it's hard to say.

You can see what I mean here. The null points are nowhere near where they should be.

The crew would have to take a little spacewalk to go through the dockport. But I guess that's ok, since the crew are already in space anyway.;) At least it's safer to keep the weapons so far away from the ship.:p

I just realized that this image points out the exact opposite of what I was trying to illustrate, since you can see this effect in the game also. However, it's not nearly as severe as this in the game so this may be a good example after all.

I can fix this and distribute it if anyone wants.

*edit - I have fixed this, and it looks 100% better. If anyone wants it just post and I'll put up a link.

More
20 years 2 months ago #8962 by Shane

Wow, that was some good nyborg mannnn... (sniff)

"I think you're goin' a little high, man."

One of my favorite parts too... well, that and Hanover Fiste. The animation was so clean on the Smiley Spaceship segment... really amazing for it's time.

I have it on DVD, but it's just not the same as the theatre. Something gets lost in translation.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 2 months ago #8970 by Second Chance
@Hot4Darmat: Ok, Wing Commander and Freespace comparisons are a go. Start giving me a list of ships you'd like to see compared. Though I may need some help in pinning down size info.

If we start getting enough comparison pictures I'll put up a web page with a gallery so people can see them all at once.

Shane, if I put up a gallery like this would you mind giving me a large version of you stadium comparison? And any others you've got?