Another size comparison :) *warning spoilers*

More
20 years 2 months ago #9057 by Shane
I'd love to see a Galaxy freighter (Privateer) comparison if you've got time... The Galaxy was always my favorite ship. But I bet she's small compared to EoC.

A Drayman would be cool too.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 months ago #9079 by Hot4Darmat
Galaxy freighter from privateer! That's the one I meant. Thanks Shane.

Some others from FS: Athena. Pegasus. ummm...Galatea or sthg like that (big carrier).

--
Hot4Darmat

More
20 years 2 months ago #9120 by Nesen Rensc

Originally posted by Second Chance

There really is no such thing as a Victory star destroyer (my bad for using the name and length). The so called Victory star destroyer is merely one of the early star destroyer concept drawings by Ralph McQuarrie. Some enterprising individual just gave it a new name and said it was a different class of craft. This has happened many times. Which is fine, why waste good design :D.

-Actually, thats only partially correct. Ive seldom found people who know more about SW ships than me. ;) Its true that the Victory SD originated as a sketch for the Imperator Class Star Destroyer, however, By the time they started filming They were adopted as their own class, and were even supposed to appear in the initial screenplay of ROTJ. (thats why Lucas' own Company: LucasArts Entertainment put the ship class in the Star wars Games). Technically speaking the VSD was created between the events from EII: ATOC and EIV: ANH. So, shes much older than the ISD.

-And, by the way, your SW Crv model is slightly inaccurate. Check the Technical Commentaries on Corvettes. ;)

Proof on the corvette was hard to pin down, but most agree it's about 150 meters. The Executor command ship is 17.6 km (+/-0.2km). I hope they have a cross town bus :p. The Dreadnaught appears to be about 187 meters and the mega freighter appears to be about 2355 meters.

-Thats not quite right either. Most sources agree that the SSD is between 11-12KM. The Eclipse Class Super Star Destroyer is 17.5KM. If you got that data from the SWTC site, then thats something that they have been wrong about for some time. The problem with thier size estimation is that on thier page they are going on the assumption that the bridge tower on the Executor is the SAME EXACT SIZE as the bridge tower on the ISD. There is no basis for such an assumption. Nowhere does anything state that these two objects are indeed the same size. Later interviews with the effects and Technical teams at Lucas Film and ILM have stated the size of the SSD approximately during interviews. [}:)]

More
20 years 2 months ago #9126 by Second Chance
Hi Nesen, I'm glad to hear you're a serious fan.

I couldn't find any SWTC info on the corvette, so I had to go with less reputable sources. Hence, "Proof on the Corvette was hard to pin down..."

The SWTC site provides empirical data based on measured visual evidence, with excellent explanations as to how they arrived at their conclusions. No other site I've ever seen provides any evidence to backup their claims, so I'll go with what the SWTC pages say until someone can show me otherwise.

Can you show me otherwise? You've made your claims, now where is your proof to say you're right? Show me something conclusive and I'll be glad to accept your measurements in favor of theirs. I don't care who's right, as long as they can prove the truth.

Reguarding the Victory SD:

By the time they started filming They were adopted as their own class, and were even supposed to appear in the initial screenplay of ROTJ.

Where did this information come from? I've never heard of this, and like you I have seldom come across fans as steeped in technical lore as myself. I'm very interested in hearing more about this. I'd love to compare notes sometime.

(thats why Lucas' own Company: LucasArts Entertainment put the ship class in the Star wars Games)

LucasArts didn't put anything in the Star Wars games, West End Games put things in the Star Wars games. LucasArts only took the money that allowed WEG the rights to use the franchise. Or were you not talking about the rpg?

You obviously have more than a cursory knowledge of Star Wars technicalities. It's nice to know that there are other people out there that are as obsessed with the behind the scenes details as I am. So, just to put this in perspective; I'm a fan of the first 3 movies, not the Star Wars Universe in general. This may sound a bit hardnosed, but I don't accept anything from books, comics, games, etc as useful info. Just to let everyone know where I'm coming from.

I'd love to talk more about this with you or anyone who wants, but this really isn't the place. I don't want anyone getting mad at me (especially Soup) for wasting long OT threads about the details of Star Wars. My email is in my sig. If you want to talk more Star Wars feel free to email me.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (coming 2004)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
20 years 2 months ago #9130 by Nesen Rensc

Originally posted by Second Chance

Hi Nesen, I'm glad to hear you're a serious fan.

-That, my friend, would be an understatement. ;)

I couldn't find any SWTC info on the corvette, so I had to go with less reputable sources. Hence, "Proof on the Corvette was hard to pin down..."

-How very curious. I shall attempt to locate it for you. I know it was there before they moved thier site to TFN.

The SWTC site provides empirical data based on measured visual evidence, with excellent explanations as to how they arrived at their conclusions. No other site I've ever seen provides any evidence to backup their claims, so I'll go with what the SWTC pages say until someone can show me otherwise. Can you show me otherwise? You've made your claims, now where is your proof to say you're right? Show me something conclusive and I'll be glad to accept your measurements in favor of theirs. I don't care who's right, as long as they can prove the truth.

-Lol. You know, I KNEW you were going to say that. ;) Ive been looking through my many numerous bookmarks and links, notes, etc. Ill find it and post it up here for your evalulation. The only point I intend on making in the meantime is that you cannot accurately depict the size or length of a vessel in deep space by mere visual parameters. They dont KNOW that the bridge superstructure is the same size as the Imperator Class, so their nifty little pic where they line up all the ISDs is kinda pointless, and they cant use a reference shot from the movie either because there's no telling how far in front of, or behind the SSD the reference ship really is, which would then throw the measurement off. I shall explain further.:

If I take two objects and render them in 3D, and then I MOVE 1 object closer to the camera, and render it again, and then move that SAME object farther away and render it again what we end up with is three different pictures with the same base object in each, but in each case the "reference" item is different sizes. I made an example pic I can send you. In one case the reference appears half the size of the "Ssd", in the second pic they appear the same length, and in the third pic the "ssd apears to be approximately 4 times as long as the reference object.

Where did this information come from? I've never heard of this, and like you I have seldom come across fans as steeped in technical lore as myself. I'm very interested in hearing more about this. I'd love to compare notes sometime.

It came from an interview with someone shortly after filming ANH. If I remember correctly, it also appeared in the original screenplay, (but I could be mistaken). Again, Ill track this data down and post it for you.

LucasArts didn't put anything in the Star Wars games, West End Games put things in the Star Wars games. LucasArts only took the money that allowed WEG the rights to use the franchise. Or were you not talking about the rpg?

:) No, Indeed I was not talking about that poor excuse of a game from WEG.. I was talking about the popular PC games (especially the X-Wing Series from the mid-late 90's) (X-Wing, Tie Fighter, XW vs. TF, and X-Wing Alliance. they also appear in SW: Rebellion (PC), and a few others Im sure).

You obviously have more than a cursory knowledge of Star Wars technicalities. It's nice to know that there are other people out there that are as obsessed with the behind the scenes details as I am. So, just to put this in perspective; I'm a fan of the first 3 movies, not the Star Wars Universe in general. This may sound a bit hardnosed, but I don't accept anything from books, comics, games, etc as useful info. Just to let everyone know where I'm coming from.

- Well put. I love Star Wars Period (execpt for the damned New Jedi Order series. I HATE that). I hope you didnt get offended by my "information" Im not trying to do anything but help you make the most accurate size comparisons possible. :) (Im a stickler for accuracy). So, in the meantime, I will attempt to locate the sources I had found before and post the data for your perusal.
I guess there's not much else to say other than: May the force be with you! :D

I'd love to talk more about this with you or anyone who wants, but this really isn't the place. I don't want anyone getting mad at me (especially Soup) for wasting long OT threads about the details of Star Wars. My email is in my sig. If you want to talk more Star Wars feel free to email me.

More
20 years 2 months ago #9132 by Second Chance
As the saying goes, "This could be the start of a beautiful friendship."

I'm impressed. I don't necessarily agree with your point on the camera measurements being invalid, but you present a good argument. We definitely should speak more about this. Email me when you get that info together. But we've got to stop hijacking this thread with Star Wars talk. I'd like to hear your opinion on a few other SW things as well.

Have you looked at the SW models I'm working on here,
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1472
and here?
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1485

btw - Would you mind just fixing that last quote up there? Or at least delete the part with my sig. Since it's really not necessary and it looks funny with my post right after it. Thanks. :)

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (coming 2004)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4