Update on current models.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8720 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Update on current models.
It's strange. I've rebuilt the collision hull twice... both times in LW 5.6 using only triangular (non-planar) polys. It still does not work. Even when the collision hull is a simple box. The poly counts are average for a standard collision hull.

Still, when I use the Spiff collision hull, the object won't move. When using the comsec collision hull, everything's fine.

I'm beginning to wonder if the size of the collision hull isn't having some effect on Spiff's mobility. Could it be possible the mass-data pulled from the collision hull has a lower limit? The drone is the smallest collision hull in the game, and it's about 2.5 times Spiff's size.

Oh, and another bad thing... Lucretia's base code won't allow a ship to launch without an LDS drive. Says it's not spaceworthy. I'll have to cobble together a pseudo-LDS drive to fool the loadout code.

...unless everyone wants Spiff zipping around the systems. :p

MT: I'm sending you a version which works.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8728 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Update on current models.
Thanks, Got it. I'll check it out later on.

It does seem the collision hull just isn't loading. Assuming you've checked and doublechecked the paths, spelling and all, my guess would also be a size minimum. Could well be, it has something to do with the mass calculation.

Can you take a hull like the drone and downsize it a notch at a time to see if it stops loading at a certain size/volume?

To heck with the launcher at the Luci's base! Put him in a missile launcher and rem to him. :D

Just imagine an iFleet version, where you can launch your marines to attack another ship and watch them going in!

It shouldn't be too much trouble to fix to up a script for launching Spiff per keybind from the players ship.

Edit:
Maybe we've stumbled over the reason why the ships in EOC are so large in comparison to ships in other games. Due to the way the engine handles the mass calculations for the newtonian flight model?
/Edit

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 3 months ago #8732 by Shane

Can you take a hull like the drone and downsize it a notch at a time to see if it stops loading at a certain size/volume?

That was my plan for tonight. Going to go down bit by bit until I find out where the problem lies.

If that does not uncover the problem (and I bet it won't; it'd be really bizzare if the mass caculations have a limit which is not zero), then I'll try deforming the collsion hull of the drone and see if that makes a difference.

I'm interested in what could cause this kind of behaviour. By all rights, it should work fine.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 3 months ago #8757 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Shane

That was my plan for tonight. Going to go down bit by bit until I find out where the problem lies.

I'm very interested in the results of your testing Shane.

The new version of Spiff won't show in the MP game, with a standard MP loadout, no matter what c_h I use.
It crashes the whole game.
I'll work on it some more later on....

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 3 months ago #8758 by Shane
I have no problem with the version I last sent you (the one using the comsec collision hull). Does it appear in the single player game? You should be able to launch from Luci's base.

That would narrow it down to whether it's a single player versus multiplayer problem or a regional computer problem (which I hope it is not).

I have to admit that I did not perform the collision hull tests last night. I was in an 'artsy' mood, so I created some textures for the Machete freighter. I'll get to the Spiff-collision hull stuff tonight, I promise!

More
20 years 3 months ago #8761 by MajorTom
Haven't tried it yet in SP but will do. I doubt it is a regional problem, though.

Have Gun, Will Travel