Jump Improvements?

More
17 years 3 months ago #16190 by nate90909
Replied by nate90909 on topic Jump Improvements?
Now, I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement, but it might be nice to allow a way for those of us whose flight skills are..."questionable" Now I think jumps are awesome. I can fly through a stable jump, piece of cake, and I can USUALLY just barely make an unstable (maybe like 3 seconds left) but for anything harder than that? Dream on! This is were my suggestion comes in. For those poor souls like me that have to save before jumping, you could implement a type of "bypass" for the jump. This would be a jump like they are now, but without the mines and obstacles, and with a straighter tube. However using such a bypass would not be cheap, and the cost would increase according to the jump stability. It would cost the player credits and fuel to perform such a jump. The idea is that the "extra fuel" goes into the capsule drive for a brief overdrive effect. The credits would go to charges to repair the capsule drive as well as damaged the ships that used it (lets say 25%-50% damage and possibly heavily damaging the capsule drive depending on the danger level) Now this wouldn't be feasible for dangerous or deadly routes as they are so unstable that no amount of fuel could fully protect the ship. I am thinking that:
Weak: 25% damage low chance of damaging capsule - Fuel - 25% extra for the jump 100-500 credits depending on ship (the cost would be for each ship)
Unstable: 25-50% damage moderate chance of damaging capsule - Fuel - 50% extra for the jump 200-1000 credits

Now for dangerous and deadly, it would not remove the obstacles, but result in a one lower level route that time through i.e. using the option on dangerous makes it the equivalent of a unstable, deadly to dangerous.

Dangerous - 35-65% damage High chance of damaging capsule Fuel - 75% extra - 300-3000 credits
Deadly - 50-80% damage. Disables capsule drive nearly every time Fuel - 90% extra - 500-5000 credits

Now using the "option" on the more dangerous routes is much less effective than the lesser routes.
I just popped this out of my head and the numbers should be changed around till it would be a much better balance.

Now I imagine that this would be really complicated to do (although I really have no idea)
But, This is the suggestion forum =)

It would also be cool if players could eventually buy something that could stablize the route and eventually bring in more traffic to the system. (although I think that would be far into the future and just wishful thinking on my part)

"Better to die now with honor, than to live with shame."

"Better to die now with honor, than to live with shame."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 months ago #16193 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic Jump Improvements?
Interesting idea. I could see it being an option when talking with Lori. "This jump is really unstable. Do you want to over charge the capsule drive sir?"

However, I think the simulation right now should be able to manage more or less what you are describing. You don't have to actually make it to the end of the tunnel. If you get close, you still make it to your destination. You just take some damage. We toyed with the idea of it costing more fuel as well. So a player who can't make it through should be able to make it 'most' of the way, then incur a cost when they are dumped out of the tunnel prematurely. Perhaps we just need to balance the cost, and point at which the player is dumped out.

More
17 years 3 months ago #16199 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Jump Improvements?
Nate, are you using the thrust override (w and s keys)? Set your throttle to max, and then use the thrust overrides to push ahead in the straights, break back in the turns. You should do fine.

More
17 years 3 months ago #16228 by cambragol
A simple question for everyone flying this Jump Simulation:

What are the good point and bad points, as you see it?

eg. Are the runs too difficult, too easy, not enough time, too much time, etc.

More
17 years 3 months ago #16230 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Jump Improvements?
I tend to think it's too difficult -- even the stable routes get my heart skipping every other beat (technically that would mean all of the blood would just fill up in my heart until it exploded, but I'm special), particularly right around the 3-second point where your ship just begins to gain controllability, because you start passing the disembodied lights after about 2 seconds but won't be able to control your ship until about 3 seconds in!

Stable routes are the only routes I can successfully pass, and that's usually only about 90% of the time.

I figure reducing the number of lights by about 25% (i.e., from 100% to 75%) would work wonders in that regard.

Surgeon-General's Warning: Early test cases of Torn Stars have resulted in fatalities. The errors in the software should be gone by now. Hopefully.

Surgeon-General's Warning: Early test cases of Torn Stars have resulted in fatalities. The errors in the software should be gone by now. Hopefully.

More
17 years 3 months ago #16231 by cambragol
Okay, that is some good info. Are you certain you like the slow start? I find it very disconcerting, because the sense of speed from normal space to the capsule tunnel is not preserved. How about increasing the starting speed in the tunnel, whilst removing the first few lights, enough to make the first 3 seconds of 'no-control' safe.

Anyways, more feedback like this from others would be appreciated.