Player Starting Positions

More
17 years 5 months ago #15632 by Hot4Darmat
Just a suggestion: Keep the potential options for different starting positions, faction affiliations, and career arcs limited to about a half dozen, if not fewer. The problem with this is simply that the game remains the same no matter where you start. The starting positions, if done right, and with care, can provide a player with a very nicely different play experience for each different position at the outset. But my concern is that, as things progress, it is likely to converge toward a similar gameplay experience as the player reaches their gameplay capacity maximum. My thought is that it might be better to put the effort into creating a smaller number of well-conceived, well-balanced and well-executed start points than into trying to make a bajillion that are too superficial.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago #15634 by GrandpaTrout
We agree totally. I would rather see just a few well supported entries, than 1 for each faction that plays exactly alike.

Right now we don't have any. We are using the starts to setup test scenarios. And it works wonders for that.

More
17 years 5 months ago #15637 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic Player Starting Positions
We had also discussed that it might be cool to link the scenarios to the three features Hot4Darmat wrote for Torn Stars. Not sure how that would work, but I thought it could be an interesting touch.