Movable Planets?

More
18 years 1 month ago #14855 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic Movable Planets?
Well, that sounds encouraging at least. And hey! Whats wrong with the view of a planet? Wouldn't that be the 'money' view?

So you should consider adding this to the mod, as there is a good chance that Beanstalks will make it to Unstable Space. I beleive the Stalk is oriented along the z axis as well..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 1 month ago #14856 by mdvalley
Replied by mdvalley on topic Movable Planets?
I’ll toss in the “point HT_Beanstalk at parent� code then. I can’t tell you if it really will point it right until it gets some live testing, but if it doesn’t, I’m sure I can jury-rig something with waypoints to get it right.

More
18 years 1 month ago #14857 by mdvalley
I discovered that if a sim (even a waypoint) is placed relative to a planet, anything placed relative to it suffers from the bug, and anything placed relative to THAT suffers, and so on.

But there’s good news. Simply setting the orientation of the sim (through either the PointAt/Away commands or SetOrientationEuler) will break the turn-lock.

So if I set the orientation on the planet itself, will it prevent the lock being placed on anything placed relative to it? I wrote it in.

Success! One measly line of code destroyed the bug. But there goes tilted planets. One more item for the ini file, I guess.

More
18 years 1 month ago #14858 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Movable Planets?
So I could break the lock just by orienting each player ship as I restore it? I think I could do that pretty painlessly. It my look wierd, because you don't save facing a station, but you end up facing one on restore. But that is harmless.

More
18 years 1 month ago #14859 by mdvalley
No, it’s better. If I orient the planets as I place them, then the ships don’t get the bug.

More
18 years 1 month ago #14864 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Movable Planets?

Originally posted by mdvalley

I discovered that if a sim (even a waypoint) is placed relative to a planet, anything placed relative to it suffers from the bug, and anything placed relative to THAT suffers, and so on.

Great Work mdvally! Really cool stuff and a great idea. I really like the way you dig around in pog and find solutions.

Your work is the key to solving a mysterious "annoyance" we have always had in the MP game. (The MP problem is imbedded in the imultiplay.dll where we can't get to it because the source is not avaliable) Your work here explains the mystery and now I know how to fix it.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site