So What's New?

More
18 years 4 months ago #18680 by Cenebar
So What's New? was created by Cenebar
I'll post here. The Moderator can move this post somewhere else if desired.

After a year's absence from EoC and the forums, what is new? Could someone post the I-War news that transpired over my absence?

The last I know is that ATARI bought out I-War and there's no plans for an I-War 2 sequel (PC, that is). The development team went their separate ways. And I saw on the ATARI forum that a developer made some paper models.

So...

Are there any plans to make a CGI movie of I-War (like "Final Fantasy" or "Starship Troopers CGI" or "Appleseed." That'll ROCK :D!!! I-War has some of the best CGI cutscenes I ever saw!).

Are there any plans to make model kits of the ships?

Are there any plans for the development team to get back together and start an I-War 3?

Any plans for tech-spec books like Star Trek?

What are the best EoC mods and the advantages/disadvantages of each?

How does ATARI/Particle Systems rate the success of I-War? If successful, what is the main reason a sequel isn't being made?

Thanks for any help in getting me back into the pilot's seat. Good thing I didn't sell my I-Wars! :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 4 months ago #14490 by pr0fez
Replied by pr0fez on topic So What's New?
Actually, Infogrames purchased the ATARI brand and changed their name. It looked like a buyout, but technically it wasn't.

From what I gather, I-WAR has been abandoned. Spaceflight sims are a thing of the past, at least to most current game designers and IT-gurus. And considering the lukewarm successes of Jumpgate, Eve and whatnot in the MMO world it's unlikely that a major developer would go back to an old title like I-WAR. For now, at least.

So, it's up to us to carry on the grand tradition of Elite and I-WAR. Who knows, maybe Torn Stars will be the next Counter Strike? Eh, maybe not, but still ....

More
18 years 3 months ago #14498 by Ostsol
Replied by Ostsol on topic So What's New?
Model kits? Well. . . www.iwarpapermodels.org/content/index.htm

-Ostsol

-Ostsol

More
18 years 3 months ago #14500 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic So What's New?
I am all for carrying on the grand tradition of Elite and I-War. There doesn't seem to be much hope out there for this tradition in anycase, so all the more reason for us to band together to carry the torch. I feel that with dedication and passion, our 'free' efforts can equal or better what is commercially possible (commercially possible including 'viable').