Lighting

More
18 years 3 months ago #14577 by yves
Replied by yves on topic Lighting
Just get a nice (coding)editor, i did it with codegenie v3, and use the replace in files (or similiar) option with the String "LgtIntensity 0.005" and your wanted light value, like "LgtIntensity 0.010" (otherwise it would change to many stuff)... dont forget to backup before ;)

worked fine for me... 10 seconds work

-yves

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 3 months ago #14585 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic Lighting
A slider control of some sort would be nice. Ambient light preferences vary greatly. Even Celestia and Orbitor have user controlled ambient light settings.

Or, why doesnt' someone make a mini-mod for the ambient light. Maybe 3 different levels, that can just be copied directly into the mod folder. If anyone does it I can host it on the Torn Stars site.

More
18 years 3 months ago #14619 by whismerhill
Replied by whismerhill on topic Lighting
I modified my ambiant light too (thanks to this thread :) )
I could do it(make the mod) but ... what would people like for ambiant light preferences ?
I mean, it depends on so many parameters ...
your computer ambiant light, your personal preferences ...

also : I noticed that not every LgtIntensity is at 0.005
some systems are at 0.032 or more with a different color than 255 255 255
so my question is : is this important that ambiant light is a little higher & different color in those systems ?
or is this some sort of "left over" ?

More
18 years 3 months ago #14624 by cambragol
Yes, those differences are important. They are representative of the ambient light coming off of some of the brighter areas of the Nebula. Turning up there intensity is fine though.

If you look closely enough in those areas, you can see that the Nebula is coloring the dark side of ships, if only slightly.

More
18 years 3 months ago #14628 by whismerhill
Replied by whismerhill on topic Lighting
what do anyone think I should do about "bumpy's star" system?

explanations :
bumpy's star has an ambiant light color of 0 0 0 (black)
but still has some light intensity...

so
first is this on purpose ? does this give some kind of "dark light" ?

second : would it be a great problem for those who would like more ambiant lights to have only one system that is dark ?

last thing :
@cambragol
I did look closely & even very closely
and in fact with my current setup I can't see an ambiant light of less than <font color="red">0.05</font id="red"> and perhaps even 0.1 if I'm far away from what I'm looking at ...

edit: corrected things in red

More
18 years 3 months ago #14634 by cambragol
To answer your first question:

It was done on purpose. Bumpy's Stars is meant to be kindof smothering and claustrophobic. It is in a very dusty area of the Da Tianmen nebula.

As for the ambient light setting being undetectable below 0.05...sounds very possible. Everyone has different monitors and settings. On my system (where the lights were all set up) I could see the ambient light intensity differences fairly easily. Just above the range of detectable. Keep in mind that I set up all of the original ambient light settings to be as realistic as possible. Not everyones cup of tea of course. hehheh..

A slider adjustment for intensity would be cool...but if that can't be done, why not do a couple of 'levels'?