Saying hello

More
18 years 5 months ago #18653 by pr0fez
Saying hello was created by pr0fez
Hi there. I just discovered there's an active, serious modding community to one of my all-time favourite games, EoC! I just tried to play X3 and got so dissapointed I decided to play through EoC again instead, but realised there has to be some old mods lying around, and lo and behold, several still active communities! And this one seems really serious about the (Torn Stars) project.

I would like to get into modding EoC, in particular I have some ideas how to implement large-scale meta game models for relations and interactions between actors like factions, communities or raiding parties.

I got my M.Sc in CS with International Relations as a minor with a good mind to get into computer game development. I'm not a graphics guy, though, my speciality is language and tool design; compilers, debuggers, interpreters, IDEs and so on. My other main interest in the computer realm is artificial intelligence, particularily global workspace theory and conscious code. Scripting, mapping, level-design and development of tools for these are what I think I can contribute through. And some political theory and/or economic modelling if there's an interest.

Thanks for having this community around, everyone! :D

| Raphael aka pr0fez
| Observe the Power of Syntactic Sugar!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14231 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Saying hello
Hi Pr0fez. Welcome to the forum. :)

More
18 years 5 months ago #14232 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic Saying hello
Hi prOfez,

Welcome to the community! Yes, things are still fairly active around here..small, tightknit, but active indeed! And lots of interesting developments and discoveries recently.

I am part of the team working on Torn Stars, both the Unstable Space and Traffic add-on releases. I am primarily involved with artistic endeavors. Nevertheless I can say that our team leader (GrandpaTrout) will be very intertested in your ideas, and you talents/ablilities. I am sure he will be posting a welcome soon enough. In the meantime, I encourage you to read through a few of the suggestion threads. There is one in particular in the developers section that might interest you. There are lots of great ideas developing, and we always welcome new ones, especially from people who might be able to act on them!

More
18 years 5 months ago #14233 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Saying hello
Hi PrOfez,

Someone who knows what syntatic sugar is, and is willing to put it in thier sig line is ok by me! Are you a Lisp programmer?

We really need a meta-game programmer. I have a design document collecting dust right now because there is no time to implement those features. If you have some time to give and are willing to be flexible, we could really use your help.

The programming conditions in EoC are painful. No data structures. Horrible serialization. Frustrating intertask communication. But it is what we have, so we make do.

If you are interested, send me an email and I will send you the design document. We can chat in more detail.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14237 by Hot4Darmat
Replied by Hot4Darmat on topic Saying hello
Welcome PrOfez. Yes, you and your skills will be a welcome addition to the modding efforts here. Looking forward to chatting with you.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14239 by pr0fez
Replied by pr0fez on topic Saying hello
Just wanted to add that it's a great idea to keep the developers only forum readonly to outsiders. Read through it all and that's why I'm posting here. Gives a very good impression, serious and dedicated.

I'm looking forward to getting in to the nitty and gritty that is POG ... I'm already thinking about ways to improve the language (thinking along the lines of using POG as an intermediate language).

Speaking of which, you who use POG, what programming languages do you prefer?

| Raphael aka pr0fez
| Observe the Power of Syntactic Sugar!