The Middle States: Sounds

More
19 years 1 month ago #18397 by cambragol
I am just starting a thread for discussion of the Middle States mod, particularly anything having to do with sounds.

A quick blurb about sound in the Middle States. We have change much of the stock sound of EoC. We are now considering sound to be 'reprocessed sensor data'. So in effect we actually hear things such as planets, stars, and nebula, by virtue of the electromagnetic noise they give off. Real 'sounds' have been used for many of the effects. As well, ships, stations, LDS fields and other objects and effects have been given new sounds to better reflect this new approach.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago #12570 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic The Middle States: Sounds
This is in reply to a private email discussion with Qlippoth:

Just a quick response to the last thing you mentioned,

The sound of player's ship thrusters. Well, I haven't really thought of this
during all the work GrandpaTrout and I did on the Sound Mod. We had focused on every
sound except the thruster sound. However, I am familiar enough with the sounds,
implimenting them and making them that it would be no trouble for me to make a
custom sound for each possible player ship. Including their volumes, etc. So I
don't think you would need to worry about placement and or modulation of their
sounds to represent distance from the pilot. I can make the sounds anytime.

Qlippoth, you will probably get quite a kick out of the new 'soundscape' GrandpaTrout and I
created. It is really quite different and dramatic I think. Once it is fully
and correctly implemented into the new cluster we are building it should really
help to create a unique feel for our mod.

Cambragol

More
19 years 1 month ago #12571 by GrandpaTrout
Either of you are welcome to change the sounds of the player ship. I like the idea of the fighter sounds being close to the player to give the feel of riding on the engine.

The sounds inside the player ship should be "real" sound that is transmitted to the player by the ships hull and air spaces.

Sounds outside the ship should have a computer processed sound. So an arc welder (just as an example) would not have a heated air sound, but instead and electromagnetic crackle as it interfered with the sensors. PBC bolts might sounds more like lightning on an AM radio. Big static burst.