Fix for EOC no speech problem

More
19 years 6 months ago #18253 by Stephen Robertson PS
I Had this email from a customer this morning, detailing a fix for the speech problems in Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos under 2K/XP.

Since I can't update the Independence War site any more I thought I'd post it here.

This game may still have some life left in it. Look for a resurgance (watch your Web stats!), but with no voice the frustration level is off the scale on an already concentration demanding game (read learning curve). Somebody did an awful lot of work and I'm thinking they didn't get paid (looking at all the dead links and download patch dead ends)... come on let's bring it back!

The real fix=

yeah yeah of course Administrator rights...

Click the Start Button > Settings > Control Panel > and choose 'Add/Remove Hardware', then Click ‘Next’.

Choose 'Add/Troubleshoot a device' (or similar default), then click ‘Next’.

Choose 'Add a new device' from the list and click ‘Next’.

Change Default to 'No I want to select the hardware from the list (Advanced)', and click ‘Next’.

Under 'Hardware Type jump to (press "S" on your keyboard twice) 'Sound, video and game controllers' and click ‘Next’.

'(Standard system devices)' on the left and 'Audio Codecs' are already the default so just click 'Have Disk'.

Click 'Browse' when you get the 'Install From Disk' dialog box and open the C:\Windows\System32 folder (WINNT?)

In here you will find the mmdriver.inf file. Select it and click ‘Open’.

Click 'OK' in the 'Install From Disk' dialog box.

If you see a warning about logo compatibility, just click 'Continue Anyway'.

Now you should see a list of audio codec’s.Scroll down and select Microsoft ADPCM Audio Codec and click 'Next'

This will look for the installation point so you will need your Windows XP or Windows 2000 CD (for a bonafide MS replacement), look in the [CDROM:\WINDOWS_CD\i386]

Actually the file it is trying to install is probably already on your machine so you can browse to your SYSTEM32 folder to select the file to re-install.

Since this is the final and critical step, if you have problems you can use your Windows Search utility to search your hard drive(s) or Windows install CD for the MSADP.ACM file. As you see there are other Codecs to install but this one is all you need to hear Clay's voice. After selecting MSADP.ACM just answer the reamining prompts to Finish.

You will be prompted to restart your PC, answer yes. You may also find this codec in the Ace Codec pack but don't install from there (Hmm you could browse to C:\Ace Codec Pack right now to check ;-)

All these codec packs are likely the issue with no sound/voice in the older games. Using Bink Video and thier Miles Sound system is getting to be the standard to compensate for the unknown codec layers folks have out in the wild... too late for Independence War 2 development Team (awesome work!), but this will getcha goin'!

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
I-War series co-designer.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
I-War series co-designer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 6 months ago #11724 by SoupDragon
Thanks for that Stephen. I've added it to the Technical FAQ's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.