Game locks up under XP, not a sound problem

More
19 years 10 months ago #18092 by Silent Vendetta
I'm running Windows XP on an AMD Athalon, 1 ghz, GeForce4 TI 4200 128MB, 786 MB of ram. I've tried turning down the graphics as low as they go and I still get lock ups. I know it's not a sound issue because it locks up even with the sound disabled completely. Often the game will lock up when I either sub target or simply target cargo pods but it will lock up at other random times as well. I have the latest patch installed and have run out of ideas to try, if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10098 by MajorTom
Your system specs are ok, you should get good frame rates with that.

Do you have newest versions of the AGP driver (Via 4in1/hyperon?) for your motherboard, and an good driver for your GeForce card?

Does the lock up tend to occur if there are a lot of cargo pods, or other ships on the screen?

Just to be sure: How did you disable the sound for testing?

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 10 months ago #10102 by Tarcoon
Hi Silent Vendetta, welcome to the board.

The first thing you should do: uninstall the game, clean the registry and reinstall the game and patch again.

Check it out:)

There is no safe distance

There is no safe distance

More
19 years 10 months ago #10103 by Silent Vendetta
I'll try uninstalling and cleaning the registry again. I downloaded the 4in1 driver update and still get the lockups.

To test the sound I went into the flux.ini (and the default.ini just to be safe) and disabled the sound through there and still get the lock up. It doesn't seem to matter if there is 100 or if there is 1 ship/pod. Most often it seems to be when I first target a pod, sometimes just after. This includes free floating pods and pods I sub-target on other ships. These account for over 90% of the game freezes.

ps Just to make sure I am doing it correctly, could you put a quick rundown of cleaning out the registry....havn't slept for about 20 hours at this point which means I probably shouldn't be messing around with the comp too much right now, but I want to play EoC!

More
19 years 10 months ago #10108 by Silent Vendetta
Well I uninstalled, again, and double checked to make sure the registry was clean. Reinstalled and patched, went out for a test flight and the first cargo pod I sub-targeted the game froze. Why it's the cargo pods 95% of the time I have no clue, but it is.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10109 by Glux
You say: When selecting a target or something, are you using a joystick?
Try pulling out the stick completely from it's slot and make sure there's NO gaming device installed under windows.

Good luck,
Glux