file DirectX 8 problem?

More
19 years 10 months ago #18085 by Second Chance
Ok, here's something weird that actually caused me to reinstall EoC. I never had the DirectX 8 options available on the Options Screen, despite having it. So I set the things like Anti-Aliased HUD stalks and whatnot through the flux.ini. Now the flux.ini shows that it recognizes that I do have DX 8, it just wouldn't give me the options for it when setting the video. I have set the entry "use_directx8" to 1 in the past, but it never had any effect that I noticed. (I never went back to the Options Screen after setting it, so it's possible the options for DX 8 were there.) So I left it at 0. Recently, I set it to 1 again. And EoC just wouldn't start. Even after setting the "use_directx8" back to 0. So I unistalled, removed all remaining registry keys and reinstalled. After the reinstall, I went to set the video options and, what do you know, it gave me the option to use DX 8. So I checked yes. And EoC just wouldn't start. The flux.log shows it can't initiate the Direct3D Device. So, I set the "use_directx8" back to 0, and now it works fine. Even though I still use the DX 8 options through flux.ini (and they do work).

I've got DX 9 installed with an nVidia GeForce 2 GTS card. Can anyone tell me why it won't accept the use of DX 8 through the game, but will accept the use of the DX 8 options?

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10028 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic DirectX 8 problem?
I dunno for sure and I'm interested to see what others say. (You might want to post this in the ina too as there was 'once upon a time' a discussion on this subject there)

Guessing at this it could that the DX8 is only for MP since with version 14.6, DX8 netcode was implimented. (which was a major improvement)
It might help to know if the option was even there pre f14.6. Did you notice that before you installed the patch?

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 10 months ago #10031 by Stephen Robertson PS
There was a DX8 graphics patch that was going to be released at one time. It added bump-mapped planets and asteroids, and a pretty shadow on the ring systems of ringed planets.

Unfortunately it was never tested properly, and was never released. That's where the use_directx8 option comes from (it got added in an earlier patch, as a prelude to the directx8 patch). AFAIK that option won't work unless you have the dlls for the directx8 graphics device.

I still have a copy of the patch BTW, but I doubt I can release it. It's just too confusing over who owns the rights to the game. I wouldn't want to get into trouble for distributing something I don't have the rights to give out.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
I-War series co-designer.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
I-War series co-designer.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10035 by Demiurgo
Replied by Demiurgo on topic DirectX 8 problem?
It's a pitty (i hope this phrase means what i want to say :))

I would like to see DX8 effects into the game, it would be a new experience (with my new joystick when i'll buy it).

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran

More
19 years 10 months ago #10040 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic DirectX 8 problem?
My emotions while reading Steve's post:

Aha. [:0]

Oh Boy!!! :p

Darn. [:(]

Anybody else get this same sequence?

Lol, but thanks for the info Steve. At least now I know what went wrong. :)

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
8 years 7 months ago #19847 by schmatzler
Replied by schmatzler on topic DirectX 8 problem?
Shameless push for interested guys - here's an official statement from one of the devs regarding the DX8 patch.

If you google around, it turns out that GOG also received the patch, but they didn't include it for reasons unknown. Shame :(

Space. The final frontier.