Massive Multiplayer universe would be great!

More
20 years 10 months ago #17790 by MonsieurX
All things considered, EOC as a massive multiplayer game with parts trading and small missions/team fights would be really cool...

Anyone interested?

The only thing better than EOC is a Z3 M Coupe with quad neutron PBCs! Great for caravan passing or people with high beams on...
Go wild at monsieurx.com

The only thing better than EOC is a Z3 M Coupe with quad neutron PBCs! Great for caravan passing or people with high beams on...
Go wild at monsieurx.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 10 months ago #6433 by MajorTom
Are you familiar with the EpicOnline mod for EOC Multiplayer?

It is oriented on co-op type play and allows you to trade cargo you aquired in your SP game, online with other players. You can also set up a trading base.
There are also games that allow you to hunt for and capture cargo. All the cargo aquired in a MP game can be imported into your SP game.

Massive multiplayer is just not possible. Due to bandwidth limitations, there is a max. of 12 - 16 players per server (assuming it's at least cable connected).

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 4 months ago #7967 by Freezy
[ and I-war 2's net play isnt exactly the most optomized code in the world ]

*sigs*

*sigs*

More
20 years 4 months ago #7979 by MajorTom
We try to do the best we can with what we have.

I doubt though that any currently avaliable net play code can handle a massive multiplay flight sim with first person flight capabilities, due to the amount of data transfer necessary (not to mention the bandwidth it would require.)

On the other hand, lots of the the stuff the net play code gets blamed for isn't really the code. Things like users with 56k and less bandwidth, changes to flux, (or any other attempts to one sidedly mod the MP game), as well as other technical, PC system related limitations, cause a lot of negative effects too.

Last evening I (in Europe) played a few minutes with someone from the US who had around 700 ms ping. It was practically unplayable for him and he got shot up pretty bad. You can't blame 700 ms ping on the net code.

I wish more people would play who have enough bandwidth and are close enough to have 150 ping or less. Then the game is fun.

Have Gun, Will Travel

More
20 years 4 months ago #8000 by Tarcoon
less than 150 ping?

Oh - that`s me!

I'm throwing my glove!
How about Timeindex 0312202200 CET? Veteran Dogfight?
Guess we did it before - long time ago - only pbc's, no missiles - I think duke omsk was present too...
My callsign was [TAF] Raptor - [:0]yeah!
Do you remember the guy who kicked you out for ten times or more?:D:D:D

I never played what rocks - no foes via gamespy available - only regular EoC MP. Would be great to get some people together for an online session.
Choose weapons and conditions.

There is no safe distance

More
20 years 4 months ago #8006 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Tarcoon

Do you remember the guy who kicked you out for ten times or more?:D:D:D

I don't remember ever flying an unarmed ship so it's not possible that you could have done that(without dying at least 30-50 times yourself). :D

I'm not really in to deathmatches these days but if you insist...

we can battle just as well with the Epic Online mod. so please get it loaded up.
Your Server or mine? I'll be in the Hawk.

Have Gun, Will Travel