Better Textures?

More
7 years 10 months ago #20223 by 7upMan
Replied by 7upMan on topic Better Textures?
Speaking of Josh and LT, depending on whether importing modeling will be possible and how this will be done, it might be a good idea to implement the I-War models for a mod in LT first. After all, LT is about the perfect description of the I-War universe and the Badlands. Sure, some things would still need to be done, story-wise, but since LT is supposed to be highly moddable, it should not be too difficult - or at least less difficult than creating your very own space game engine from scratch. But that's just my two cents.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #20224 by Chessking
Replied by Chessking on topic Better Textures?
Interesting...

Since Limit Theory uses procedural ships, the functionality to use existing models would need to be added. Which means someone needs to have a good understanding of the file format. Also, Josh revealed that modding will be done in Python, which I don't plan on learning soon. I know that the models can be converted to other files, but the UVs don't cross over. Back when the subject of UVs cam up, Schmatzler and someone else were doing a re-skin of the dreadnought. It may be necessary to do this with all models to get the textures working on other platforms.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
7 years 10 months ago #20225 by 7upMan
Replied by 7upMan on topic Better Textures?
I know that LT's assets are procedural, but the game will be highly moddable, Josh expects there will be a thriving community around it. I fully expect someone to hack in a way to import models from outside. Hell, Josh himself might do the deed. Anyway, nobody has heard from him for almost a month now, and while he's been absent for far longer before, I wouldn't make plans until LT finally ships, even as a Beta.

More
7 years 10 months ago #20226 by Chessking
Yes, same here. I was describing the process of hacking a way to import models. All of the things we are talking about are definitely for the future. Right now, I am going to finish up the keybinder.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
7 years 10 months ago #20227 by IronDuke
Replied by IronDuke on topic Better Textures?
I wouldn't worry about copying Josh Parnell. He's a whoppin' nice guy who will completely understand, especially since LT itself is heavily based on the game Freelancer. Josh said somewhere that the game is basically Freelancer 2 in everything except name.

Also, no, I can't sell my I-War2 remake. That would almost certainly be plagiarism. I'm going to be selling other games though, such as the Pinball game slated for completion in October. The thing is, I still am working on my own "inspired by I-War2" game, and am also making a small space game for a contest. I can recycle code and assets across these projects. The contest game is due by the end of the month, so it's a good place to whack up a basic flight and combat model. The I-War2 remake would truly be simple to make after that. It would mostly consist in just migrating the vast majority of I-War2 to Unity. Then, with an artillery battery of space game code and assets under my belt, I can make my own, main space game.
At least, that's the plan. The Pinball game will kinda edge out the two non-contest items, but I think I can get a I-War2 Instant Action running in Unity by the end of summer. Even if it's got all of one ship type, I still think I can do it.

--IronDuke

P.S. I think we are different kinds of lazy. :lol:

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
7 years 10 months ago #20228 by Chessking

IronDuke wrote: At least, that's the plan. The Pinball game will kinda edge out the two non-contest items, but I think I can get a I-War2 Instant Action running in Unity by the end of summer. Even if it's got all of one ship type, I still think I can do it.

Sounds good! I am familiar with the one ship thing... I still only have four ships for EOC 2-D, and only one has weapons.

Storm Petrel