Better Textures?

More
7 years 10 months ago #20200 by arnick
Better Textures? was created by arnick
Does there exist a mod or set of mods that will simply replace/enhance the textures? I am playing this game at 1920x1080 on a 50" Bravia with the best settings, and the game is crisp and smooth, but the textures are extremely dated and quite honestly, distracting.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #20201 by Chessking
Replied by Chessking on topic Better Textures?
There was someone who once played around with procedural planet textures and different backgrounds, but he hasn't been around for a while. Most of the textures are in .iff format, which is really hard to work with. I don't think such a mod has been created, but it may be possible.

See here:
www.i-war2.com/forum/torn-stars/3203-tor...rs-add-on-mods#19832

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
7 years 10 months ago #20207 by IronDuke
Replied by IronDuke on topic Better Textures?
They can certainly be annoying if you are not used to them. There is no mod yet to make the textures look nicer, but that is one of the things I'm planning on, once I figure out how you make the darn things convert to the game format in the first place. :)

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
7 years 9 months ago #20212 by Chessking
One of the things required for this is to make the game accept higher resolution textures, yes? I do not know how to do that. I have managed to convert the .iff files into .jpeg. I do not remember if I was able to change them back. If you can get the game to work with the better textures, then we can work together to get the conversion process down, and then generate some backgrounds and other textures. :woohoo: What do you think?

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
7 years 9 months ago #20213 by IronDuke
Replied by IronDuke on topic Better Textures?
I don't know if the game actually HAS a max resolution for textures, considering that Torn Stars/Unstable Space has some pretty high-res textures. I do know that 3d-models do. The UV maps, which are built into the .pso format that I-War2 uses for 3d-models, are locked at whatever resolution they were assigned. I think the only way to fix that would be to make new 3d-models, which I'm planning on doing anyway. If we were to use say a 512x512 instead of a 256x256, it would only use the top left quadrant.
But there is a problem with making new 3d-models. The version of Lightwave used by PS was very old. Annoyingly, the file format appears to have been changed only a year or two afterwards, and the game can't read the new file format. None of the Lightwave versions after the reformat support the old one. In order to make 3d-models for the game, we have to get our hands on a very old copy of Lightwave, ie before version 6.0. I know from a screenshot a dev took that their version was 5.6. It's possible that there's some trick that can bridge this problem, but I don't know of it.

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
7 years 9 months ago #20214 by Chessking
Ah, I see...

I found a copy of lightwave 5.6 that is for sale (at least I think it is lightwave), but it costs $93.49... better look for that bridge. I found this: Okino . It is expensive as well but has demos.

One of the projects I would like to do is a paper model of the Storm Petrel. Without something that can properly access the UVs, it would be quite difficult to texture the model. Perhaps this problem can be met with this solution, but according to the Okino description, the UV system was changed the most and may not work.

Storm Petrel