targeting q and essential mods/downloads?

More
21 years 4 weeks ago #17723 by pepperg
hey all,
great great game! one thing is driving me nuts though. is there a command for targeting the ship which is in the center of your hud, preferrably right in the center over the hud display? what drives me nuts is flying up to a transport, wanting to quickly scan it to find out its contents. well, i have to cycle through what seems to be every single ship in my contact list before i get to it! meanwhile, the darn thing is flying off somewhere and is often gone before i get to it. is there a 'target nearest ship (not hostile)' or 'target hud centered ship' command. it would save a lot of time! also, i am trying to dodge missiles, but it's not working. i wait until the indicator is beeping rapidly and then apply lateral thrust, but i still get hit.

also, can anyone give me a brief lesson in how to roll the ship?

finally, are there any essential mods or downloads which most folks consider vital? i don't have the budget version of the game.

thanks,

pepper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 3 weeks ago #5585 by Flamineo
For control questions, check the file configs/default.ini (assuming you're using a joystick -- keyboard_only.ini if not), the key chart that should have come with the game, or read the fine manual. Briefly, though: 'T' or joy button 2 is target visually, 'Home' jumps to the top of the contact list (it's sorted by distance), and holding joy button 2 rolls instead of yawing.

Dodging missiles comes up all the time: it's quite hard to do in the tug, but not impossible. Divert all power to engines, combine multiple thrusters for more overall acceleration, and remember your Z laterals are far more powerful than your X and Y, so if you need to turn sharply left, you should face that way and thrust forward, rather than using X laterals. Double-tapping 'L' is a very effective way to confuse the targeting AI (it is almost a bug exploit, but never mind that). If all else fails, don't forget that LDSi detonations destroy any missiles in their blast radius.

Most mods that significantly alter gameplay should be avoided until you've finished the game and are just fooling around with it (whether in a second play-through or free-form mode) -- the unmodded game's scripted missions are sometimes flaky enough anyway without help from extra scripts with which they weren't written to work. Multimod is required by the majority of others. No launch sequence is a good sanity preserver. Custom Jafs is helpful if you feel the originally intended 12-pod capacity per haul is unreasonably limiting (combine it with the colossus for a 360-pod capacity, which I defy anyone to have the patience actually to fill). FutureTrader is good if you can't be bothered to find the items you need for desirable trades. iFleet is well worth playing, but I wouldn't try to combine it with the original missions -- it's essentially a mini-game in its own right. Unleashed, another mod you really don't want to go near outside free-form mode, does some interesting things you won't see anywhere else. The Elite mod is the most complete released rebalance mod I'm aware of; it may interest you if you become irritated with how overpowered player ships are.

More
21 years 3 weeks ago #5587 by Snowyhands

Originally posted by Snowyhands

anyone know where the antimatter mod is? it's not on the download page and the zip fie on the matrix site changes ships to use antimatter. Im looking for the one that changes the quad lite pbc into antimatter pbcs...I found it before but don' know where now.

edit nevermind I found it;on the independecewar.com site instead of i-war2.com

More
21 years 3 weeks ago #5591 by Stephen Robertson PS
Location Finder and Manual Countermeasures are also essential mods, IMHO.

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
Particle Systems
Independence War Website

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
I-War series co-designer.