Creating a simple mod, not sure how to get started

More
9 years 2 months ago #19329 by jaggardos
Hi guys,

I'm working on a simple mod that basically replaces most of the sound effects with ones that sound more realistic, meaning if there is an explosion in space, it doesn't sound like its on earth, I've made them more muffled, because its in space...a bit like in Battlestar Galactica or Firefly. I've created all the sounds and would like to know how to now put them in the game. I tried unzipping the resource zip, replacing the sounds, then zipping it back up but that causes the game to not work. Is there a simpler way... or a way I can inject maybe?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #19330 by jaggardos
Just noticed I put this in the completely wrong forum catagory, woops :blink:

More
9 years 2 months ago #19331 by Chessking
Did the names of any files change?

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
9 years 2 months ago #19332 by cambragol
Hi jaggardos,

If you are replacing sound effects, you need to put them into a folder that contains matching filepaths/folders names as the original resources. Then give this folder a name, and put it into the mods directory in your i-war2 install. Lastly you need an .ini file and .html file in that folder, to activate your mod, and give it an info screen in game.

Refer to an existing mod for guidance as well. I will attach the most basic of mods, the crosshair mod, which lays this all out for you.

You can also zip up your folder as well, and just drop that into the mods directory, like the crosshair mod I have attached.
Attachments:

More
9 years 2 months ago #19335 by jaggardos
No file name changes, just took the sounds, edited them ready to be dropped back into the game.
Thanks cambragol, lots of help, I'll try out what you've said. Is there somewhere I can post this mod if it works? I know the game is over a decade old but meh, still one of the most fun games I've ever played!

More
9 years 2 months ago #19336 by Chessking
When you get it working, and the file is small enough, just upload it into this thread. If not, you can use Google Sites or Dropbox.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel