Some questions...???

More
16 years 7 months ago #19022 by Odomus
Some questions...??? was created by Odomus
I know this is gonna sound odd but I just got I-War2:EoC... and I found your mod site with the Great Jafs addon/mod...
I will split these questions into 3 'Quoted' areas... for my ease as well as making it eaiser for you guys.

My questions are:

Q1) How do I make a bigger Jafs Transporter?
I know 20 seems like alot for one but not for me.
I went through the Pictures of different Vessels on the I-War2 site.... and the one I want is the NSO-F1010 Powell Class Megatransporter (PMT) ... located on www.i-war2.com/ships_db6.htm , is there anyways to set up Jafs to use this one?
Or can he only use the MS-FR200 Venice Class Heavy Freighter (VHF)? Is it even possible to make a bigger one since From the looks of it, the VHF is the biggest one to handle 20 max with a ship picture.

Q2) Can the PMT only carry the big cargo pods? OR Can they also Carry the reg pods like the VHF does?
Since from the Desc:
"A ferry variant is available which replaces the Megapod docking ports with standard docking connections. This allows the transport of up to 30 ships at any one time." This is why I ask this question. 30 ships, = from the Maas mission, it looked like 8 pods per 4(from the SnRV ship look) took up 4 spots, but they double so 8 total?
And if you can how?

I did read the Readme, it says you can add more 'ports' by putting in more spots... which would be under:
'C:\Games\Independence War 2 - Edge of Chaos\resource\sims\multiplayer' not
'sims/ships/utility/freighter' just so you know.
As the CustomJafs in the Flux.ini reads:
[CustomJafs]
jafs_cargo_loading_delay = 1
jafs_comments = 1
jafs_ship = ini:/sims/ships/utility/freighter
Cause there isnt that folder in your 'html readme'

Q3) Now if i do edit the freighter.ini, do I just add ports like this one:
template[19]=ini:/subsims/dockports/cargo_port
null[19]=cargo_dock20
and add/make one after 20:
ie:
template[20]=ini:/subsims/dockports/cargo_port
null[20]=cargo_dock21
And keep doing that till I reach ?? what number is the max number is there one?
Yes and of course change the 'docking port' to the next higer one I know that.
Is there a list or a manual online or somehwere out there, I cant seem to find one that shows the max cargo ports that one can add to a freighter at all.

I know this is a little more indepth sorry but the readme wasent all that great really for knowing what to add would be greatly appreciated for an Updated one.
Or maybe it can be explained a little more since it was left it open in the read me saying:
"Specifies the ship that jafs will use. The number of cargo tags available is equal to the number of free cargo ports on the ship. If there are no cargo ports on the ship, or if the ship doesn't work for some reason, the mod will use the standard SNRV instead.
( Default = ini:/sims/ships/utility/freighter - a 20 pod Venice class freighter. )"
Meaning I can choose something higher right?

Or am I dreaming and none of this is possible?

I hope this doesnt fall on deaf ears(or a non-existant board that noone uses anymore),
I know this is an Older game, but some clarification would be great if it is possible since PS/Infograms guy Steve who created this the Email address was well not able to be deleviered anymore, this is why I came here 2nd.

Q4) Not really related question more of a request, but I really would like if somone could make a Ship I dont care how long it takes (well I do i would prefer to wait a week not months and months) for if it... if it isnt already out, for a mod that would make My main ship, what ever I use, into the 'Delta Flyer' from StarTrek Voyager, I know there are pictures of the Flyer, out on the web and such, couldnt thoes be manipulated into the making of a mod? IS this even possible? I think it is since i have seen ship packs but none are Voyager relaated from what I have seen. Can anyone help with this? Pretty Please?

Thank you in advance and I hope someone can reply back soon.
-Odomus

IM me I get bored really quick!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #16602 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Some questions...???

Q1) How do I make a bigger Jafs Transporter?
I know 20 seems like alot for one but not for me.
I went through the Pictures of different Vessels on the I-War2 site.... and the one I want is the NSO-F1010 Powell Class Megatransporter (PMT) ... located on www.i-war2.com/ships_db6.htm , is there anyways to set up Jafs to use this one?
Or can he only use the MS-FR200 Venice Class Heavy Freighter (VHF)? Is it even possible to make a bigger one since From the looks of it, the VHF is the biggest one to handle 20 max with a ship picture.

Megatransporters actually cheat in the game engine. They use their own special code: cargo pods are summoned into the megapods of the transporter and then once they go into the megapod, they get deleted from the game and stored in data form. It's not like the other ships which simply carry the cargo on their ship.

The short answer, essentially, is no. It's impossible to load and unload cargo into a megafreighter (although Megafreighters were implemented, as a hack, by md_valley for Torn Stars). When you destroy a megafreighter in the game, what happens is that it releases its megapods, and then those megapods spit out their cargo like piñatas when you break them up. So, in the most literal mechanical sense, a megafreighter in the game doesn't actually carry any cargo.

Q2) Can the PMT only carry the big cargo pods? OR Can they also Carry the reg pods like the VHF does?
Since from the Desc:
"A ferry variant is available which replaces the Megapod docking ports with standard docking connections. This allows the transport of up to 30 ships at any one time." This is why I ask this question. 30 ships, = from the Maas mission, it looked like 8 pods per 4(from the SnRV ship look) took up 4 spots, but they double so 8 total?
And if you can how?

I did read the Readme, it says you can add more 'ports' by putting in more spots... which would be under:
'C:\Games\Independence War 2 - Edge of Chaos\resource\sims\multiplayer' not
'sims/ships/utility/freighter' just so you know.
As the CustomJafs in the Flux.ini reads:
[CustomJafs]
jafs_cargo_loading_delay = 1
jafs_comments = 1
jafs_ship = ini:/sims/ships/utility/freighter
Cause there isnt that folder in your 'html readme'

I don't recall ever seeing any Megafreighter capable of carrying regular pods. If they could, they would only be able to carry less than the Venice could.

As for "there is no folder", you'll have to look in "resources.zip" for any file that doesn't appear in its raw form in the file tree.

Q3) Now if i do edit the freighter.ini, do I just add ports like this one:
template[19]=ini:/subsims/dockports/cargo_port
null[19]=cargo_dock20
and add/make one after 20:
ie:
template[20]=ini:/subsims/dockports/cargo_port
null[20]=cargo_dock21
And keep doing that till I reach ?? what number is the max number is there one?
Yes and of course change the 'docking port' to the next higer one I know that.
Is there a list or a manual online or somehwere out there, I cant seem to find one that shows the max cargo ports that one can add to a freighter at all.

The ports in this case have to be defined inside the actual ship's model (as "null" points) before you can add them to the game. Just adding additional ports to a model that doesn't define them will at best do nothing and will at worst crash the game. =)

Q4) Not really related question more of a request, but I really would like if somone could make a Ship I dont care how long it takes (well I do i would prefer to wait a week not months and months) for if it... if it isnt already out, for a mod that would make My main ship, what ever I use, into the 'Delta Flyer' from StarTrek Voyager, I know there are pictures of the Flyer, out on the web and such, couldnt thoes be manipulated into the making of a mod? IS this even possible? I think it is since i have seen ship packs but none are Voyager relaated from what I have seen. Can anyone help with this? Pretty Please?

Way out of my league, and I don't know if you'll find a competent-enough modder around here any more, sadly... =/

Surgeon-General's Warning: Early test cases of Torn Stars have resulted in fatalities. The errors in the software should be gone by now. Hopefully.

Surgeon-General's Warning: Early test cases of Torn Stars have resulted in fatalities. The errors in the software should be gone by now. Hopefully.

More
16 years 7 months ago #16603 by Odomus
Replied by Odomus on topic Some questions...???

Megatransporters actually cheat in the game engine. They use their own special code: cargo pods are summoned into the megapods of the transporter and then once they go into the megapod, they get deleted from the game and stored in data form. It's not like the other ships which simply carry the cargo on their ship.

The short answer, essentially, is no. It's impossible to load and unload cargo into a megafreighter (although Megafreighters were implemented, as a hack, by md_valley for Torn Stars). When you destroy a megafreighter in the game, what happens is that it releases its megapods, and then those megapods spit out their cargo like piñatas when you break them up. So, in the most literal mechanical sense, a megafreighter in the game doesn't actually carry any cargo.

Yeh the MT kinda well when you destroy them they kinda well dont have nay cargo in them at all they just flot there aimlessly. :( If this were real... that cargo pod would come in so useful, only because according to the Desc toes pods can marry 35 reg pods.
But oh well... I guess piracy has its limits ;P

I don't recall ever seeing any Megafreighter capable of carrying regular pods. If they could, they would only be able to carry less than the Venice could.

As for "there is no folder", you'll have to look in "resources.zip" for any file that doesn't appear in its raw form in the file tree.

As for the folder... well since I wasent really looking into modding it and the like... like i Have done to Freelancer, DIablo II, Moo3, and a few other ones... I didnt even look I am sorry for being such a moron.
BTW, if I was to unzip all of the stuff into my game folder, and such. Does the game bypass the zip file and read the folders first? Or Do i ahve to copy the zip somewhere else then it will read the folders?

The ports in this case have to be defined inside the actual ship's model (as "null" points) before you can add them to the game. Just adding additional ports to a model that doesn't define them will at best do nothing and will at worst crash the game. =)

Ports... Hrm... well, is there any one bigger then the 20 Venice one by any chance?
If so how would one go around and use a bigger one than that? Frainkly when I take out freighters, I take out 2-5 full freights at a time, and I tend to well, leave cargo behind, I shoot when going through an L point 2-5 of them then call in Jafs. Since Jafs comes and then I go through if Jafs is there... then I am safe usually in getitng all the cargo 20 max but still.... Would love to have the ability to call him in with 50, 60, 70,.....200 cargo spaces? I dont know what the biggest is but I would be so happy for a bigger one.

As for the Ship modding, thanks anyways... I dont know how or what it goes through to make even 1 so it was just a throw out is all, unelss somone cand a mod online that I over looked for certin ships and such... I couldnt find any at all.

Thank you JT, for the reply back was getting kinda worried i guess since noone really plays this game anymore modded or not.
I like it I havent beaten it yet which is nice, but it beats Playing freelancer over and over or Privateer3, over and over... I havent found any other games like this yet which are good at all. This is a first in a long time.

Thank you again, and I hope you can answer the aboves as well.
Have a great morning.
-Odomus

More
16 years 7 months ago #16611 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Some questions...???

Originally posted by Odomus
As for the folder... well since I wasent really looking into modding it and the like... like i Have done to Freelancer, DIablo II, Moo3, and a few other ones... I didnt even look I am sorry for being such a moron.
BTW, if I was to unzip all of the stuff into my game folder, and such. Does the game bypass the zip file and read the folders first? Or Do i ahve to copy the zip somewhere else then it will read the folders?

It should use the most recent file, if I remember the behaviour correctly. So if you extract the files, it'll use the extracted files instead of the ones in the zip, since those should have more recent last-modified dates on your hard drive.

Ports... Hrm... well, is there any one bigger then the 20 Venice one by any chance?
If so how would one go around and use a bigger one than that? Frainkly when I take out freighters, I take out 2-5 full freights at a time, and I tend to well, leave cargo behind, I shoot when going through an L point 2-5 of them then call in Jafs. Since Jafs comes and then I go through if Jafs is there... then I am safe usually in getitng all the cargo 20 max but still.... Would love to have the ability to call him in with 50, 60, 70,.....200 cargo spaces? I dont know what the biggest is but I would be so happy for a bigger one.

As for the Ship modding, thanks anyways... I dont know how or what it goes through to make even 1 so it was just a throw out is all, unelss somone cand a mod online that I over looked for certin ships and such... I couldnt find any at all.

The Venice is the largest freighter that actually carries cargo in the game, as far as I know, unless there are ship mods here (i-war2.com) that add bigger ones.

Making a ship in EoC isn't actually more difficult than making a 3D model for any other game, but it's dependent on a 2000-era version of Lightwave 3D -- a little out of date now.

Thank you JT, for the reply back was getting kinda worried i guess since noone really plays this game anymore modded or not.
I like it I havent beaten it yet which is nice, but it beats Playing freelancer over and over or Privateer3, over and over... I havent found any other games like this yet which are good at all. This is a first in a long time.

Well, EoC has several reasons to be unpopular:

1) It's a space sim. Space sims are notoriously hard to sell on the market because the people who like them are usually the above-average-intelligence sort (i.e., one in several thousand people). Compare things like Madden '07, which is exactly the same game as it was in '06 but with a changed number. ;-)

2) It's difficult. Like I-War before it, it's very hard to pick up and go because it has a very steep learning curve. If you don't invest at least several hours learning the Newtonian space flight, you'll hate the game. Newtonian space physics are often easy for people to understand in two-dimensions, but three-dimensions makes things very complicated.

3) It's old. It was released in 2000. That's seven years old, two years beyond the "five-year" rule of thumb that many illegal-file-sharing sites use to consider something abandonware. Most people lose interest in games after two or three years. For instance, I have several games on my computer which I haven't played in years. Only a few games still get regularly visited by me.

4) It's completely unsupported. Particle Systems doesn't exist any more, and Infogrames sold all the rights to Atari. Atari has absolutely zero interest in the profitability (read: lack thereof) of the space sim niche. Basically all that's left now are the most dedicated fans, like some of the people you'll see in the Atari I-War2 forums, and the late-joiners like myself (who had played the original demo but never had the fortune of buying the game nor fortune enough to afford it until a couple years ago).

More
16 years 7 months ago #16612 by Odomus
Replied by Odomus on topic Some questions...???
All I can say is Ahhh( as in an understanding of ahh). lol.

Well i did find out one thing... the 'cargo pods' that are usually empty hold 6 actually of the regular pods before it explodes... that is a good thing to know.
Funny really out of the 12 that were jettisoned, only 3 had anything in them as you said before they are usually empty or deleted I can see on how one would preceeve(?sp kinda late in the evening to be thinking of spelling ;P ) that.

As for unsupported that is fine, it is funny really DiabloII is older than I-War2, and it is still supported and such, funy how certin games in this world make a huge hit and still supported for almost 10 years and some are just well left to rot in the dust. Sad really.

And thankfully it took only about 30min to get a hang of the controlls... frankly iam a 100% keyboard man, so that is what I have been using and it works out great for me.
Plus being versed on Freelancer, and the Privateer series... i am thankful I understood and was able to get acclamated to it quick and easy.

As for madden... blah.. never really did like any sports games really, never have.... never really seen the draw that is has... I love football and I watch it all the time, and yet I hate the video games for it, go figure.

Well thank you again I appreciate the reply back... if you want to ever talk or anything feel free to IM me on AIM... i will be on there as well.

If you want to get ahold of me quicker or just talk...
IM me on AIM, Iam always on (unless I have to reboot or the power goes out) plus I wouldnt mind talking to new people either.