Real Star Wars space

More
18 years 8 months ago #18513 by Second Chance
Just wanted to mention that I removed the nebula background, so now we have actual Star Wars type space.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago #13469 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Real Star Wars space
Hmm, I dunno if I like that. Now every map looks like the other one (except for the pattern of the asteroids)?

Without the nebula you won't be able to recognize any pattern of the objects in the background.
Whats wrong with nebula? They didn't have them in the older games because they couldn't make em?

Specially, since every map has the same planet in the background.
Could you figure out a way to place a different planet in the background for each map?

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
18 years 8 months ago #13483 by Taurus
Replied by Taurus on topic Real Star Wars space
I gotta say I agree with MajorTom...
Of course the nebulas are not seen in any of the trilogy movie, but we can assume that they exist... Furthermore, they look really good in EoC and they give a really immersive feeling of being in space... I would however (if possible) turn them light blue (as the star halo seen in your pic) and red-orange instead of green and red, to remain closer to canon... (once again if you remember the original trilogy posters and even the new ones, blue and orange suit better than green and red imho). But even in case they cannot be changed, I would then keep them.

How are these nebulas background encrypted ? In case they are image-files, I'd be happy to lend a hand tweaking those (but I won't be connected between the12th of august and september).

Cheers

More
18 years 8 months ago #13492 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Real Star Wars space
If that's what you guys want, can do.

MT: Absolutely we're going to have different planets for each map. Beautiful planets. Star Wars planets. I know a place to get actual Star Wars planet textures.

btw - They most certainly could do nebulae in older games. It's nothing but another texture. I would say that nebulae weren't included because they're unrealistic. I'm pretty sure you can't see a nebula, even in space, without a telescope. Unless you're galactically close to one, I guess.

Taurus: All the game textures are compressed. There's a program I got from Buda5 that decompresses them into .pcx files. I'll send it to you. If you're interested in doing any texture mods, remember to save the files as Amiga .IFF files. This is the native Lightwave texture format and can be read be the game directly. Also, since you're just getting started in EoC and modding, reading this first might be helpful.
americanodysseymagazine.com/john ... aft-R1.pdf

It's a rough draft of my incomplete first chapter from my forthcoming book on modding for EoC. Feedback is appreciated.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4