Gold Rush: too yellow!!

More
19 years 2 months ago #18385 by AcesHigh
Ive found that the light from Sol (Sun) in Gold Rush is just too yellow... it doesnt seem real... in every picture and movie you see from spaceships around Earth, the light looks white... ok, its a VERY VERY pale yellow... but in Gold Rush, Sol´s light is too yellow and makes everything looks dark and unrealistic.

Is there any way to change the color of Sol´s light?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #12513 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic Gold Rush: too yellow!!
Yes, it is possible to change the color of the sun. Note: these directions will help you change the color of the light emitted by the sun. If you want to change the physical color of the sun for what you see when you look at it, that's a completely different process.

Enter the mods directory, and then enter the em64_ultimate_freeform folder. Find and open a zip file called geog.zip. Inside that, open the folder called 'core'. You should see a file called em64_Sol.lws. Unzip that file to somewhere convenient like your desktop. Open the file up using notepad and search for a section that looks like this:
Code:
AddLight LightName <star> ShowLight 1 7 LightMotion (unnamed) 9 1 0 0 0 90 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 EndBehavior 1 LockedChannels 48 LightColor 180 180 20 LgtIntensity 1.500000 LightType 0 ShadowType 1 AddLight LightName <fill> ShowLight 1 7 LightMotion (unnamed) 9 1 0 0 0 -90 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 EndBehavior 1 LightColor 180 180 20 LgtIntensity 0.500000 LightType 0 ShadowType 1
The important part is those two lines that say "LightColor" followed by three numbers. Those three numbers represent the color of the light emitted by the sun. They are rbg decimal values ranging from 0 to 255. Changing the numbers will change the color of the sun. You can find a set of numbers from a color chart such as this one www.december.com/html/spec/colordec.html , or you can experiment on your own. Just do a google search if you need to learn more about rgb decimals.

Once you have the colors for both of the LightColor lines set as you want them, save and close the file. Go back to the em64_ultimate_freeform folder and create a folder named 'geog'. Inside that, you'll want to create a folder called 'core'. Place your edited file in there. The sun in Gold Rush will now be whatever color you set it to the next time you play the game. Don't worry if it doesn't look the way you want it to on the first try. It can be very difficult to guess what colors will look like in the game. Just keep making changes until it looks the way you want it to look.

If you get stuck in my directions or just have questions, don't hesitate to ask. Sorry the color seemed unrealistic. I guess researching sun color just wasn't a priority for me.

More
19 years 2 months ago #12518 by AcesHigh
Replied by AcesHigh on topic Gold Rush: too yellow!!
thanks, I use photoshop so i have a good idea about RBG numbers. This is exactly I wanted to know.

I am not a "right sun color freak", i just thought, looking at Earth itself, that it looked too yellowish compared to all space images I see...

I just changed the colors to 255, 255, 220... its a very light yellow... tried in the game... PERFECT!! The planets are all in their right colors...