Switching cockpits mid flight (EricMan64)

More
19 years 11 months ago #18093 by MajorTom
We've got a ship with turrets on it in the Starwars mod (Falcon) and the player can switch from the pilots seat to the turret per a key. As the player switches to the turret his guns are activated and he can blast away, while the autopilot takes over the helm of his ship.
It works based on Ericmans idea (in cool pog tricks above).

Since MP is very sensitive about switching ships mid game, I opted not to switch out the ship (as in Ericmans example) but created the "cockpit_ship" sim and attached it to the crew null position, at the moment F1 is pressed. (F1 is normally the view with hud and w/o cockpit). i.e the new cockpit is more or less placed on top of the existing cockpit, and then removed again as the player switches back to the pilots seat.
Since the Falcon sports 2 turrets an upper and lower it is also possible to use a different cockpit for each turret.

It works great and reliably. Thanks to EricMan64 for the idea!

Now the 64 million $ question: Does anyone have an idea, how to turn off the hud reticule (the big green circle) temporarily??

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 11 months ago #10101 by Tarcoon
Is it possible to modify the flux.ini during gameplay?

Is there a command to disable "elements[11] = icHUDReticle"?
Or is it an option to add an "elements[11.5] = no icHUDReticle"? - and this is only used in "Turret View".

If you switch via "REM" to another ship, may it use a second modified flux.ini?
I don't remember well - is there any difference in HUD appearance between original cockpit and "REM" cockpit?
If you reach maximum REM range there starts a kind of dissortion - how is this done and may it be useful?

Sorry - only questions and no solutions

There is no safe distance

There is no safe distance

More
19 years 11 months ago #10104 by MajorTom
Thanks for the questions, good food for thought!

Unfortunatly you can't change the config values in flux dynamically, they are stored in memory at game start and you can't (AFAIK) re-initialise them

Any more ideas/questions, please :D

More
19 years 11 months ago #10166 by Roi Danton
Reticule

Sorry, no idea for the dynamic removing of the reticule (I tried it for myself two years ago but I wasn't good enough ... hopefully there is a better man here :) ).

Turret

So it isn't possible that one player is in the cockpit and another player is in the turret (if I understand it correctly).
I think thats a good way for balancing when the turrets only fire when the player is inside a turret.
On the other hand if you are in a big Babylon5 ship you have less chances against fighters w/o automatic turrets. They are to fast to hit them with turrets when you have to change your position from cockpit to turret (and can't move the ship during on turrets position).

For this, several players/ship would be better. That I meant as I said that a turret should become an own ship. The difference to normal models is of course that turret models are attached to the main ship, so it has no accelaration (resp the acc of the main ship).
Well, I don't know if this is possible b/c I'm no modeller and currently don't get a Buda5 modeller on hand. (at least the sims parameters like its position on the main ship, the direction it has, the acc and speed, etc could be made by pog)

[OT]Sanfam informed me that your account have access to the Buda5Dev now.[/OT]

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

More
19 years 11 months ago #10168 by MajorTom
The approach described in the first post is different in that it "moves" the same player pilot to a different view of his surroundings (another cockpit), without having to switch ships.

So it isn't possible that one player is in the cockpit and another player is in the turret (if I understand it correctly).

That is surely possible as long as there are two seperate players! That is not the problem. The only issue would be differences in latency between the players if it isn't a LAN game.
A seperate player in an atttached turret could definatly fire at other ships if they are in his target arc. Rotating the turret ship in reference to the mother ship dynamically would require some fast pog functions though. (dynamically re-orientate the attached "Turret" ship)

What I would like to do is, some how make a version of an icTurret, as a player ship (put a crew null on it and attach the pilot there). (I dunno, if the icTurret is icShip derived like a gunstar or cargo pod though)
If that would work, the icTurret could track the currently selected target and that would give the player a dynamic view, Maybe! ;)

More
19 years 11 months ago #10210 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
In my Elite Mod Conversion i removed the abilty of the player to use F2 to find out information about targeted ships that he/she should not be able to 'see' unless he was closer. It also added realism.

I also found that taking away the cockpit made it too easy to fly a ship.

What i would really love is if pressing F1 took you to a secondary view of the ship, e.g...a camera facing the engines and then another camera that was from the view point of the dockports.

THAT would be realistic and cool.

Jwk...comander of =HEMP HUNGRY MONKEY=
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=310